FabFilter User Forum

Global FabFilter Presets Folder

I'm trying to move the FabFilter presets folder elsewhere (outside of my Documents folder), but according to the support documentation it seems I would have to do manually change the preset folder for each individual plugin which would be rather tedious.

Is there a way to change the FabFilter presets folder globally for *all* FabFilter plugins at once?

Chris

Hi Chris,

Unfortunately it's not possible to do this globally for all fabfilter plug-ins at once. However, instead of opening each plug-in and changing it via the help menu, you can change the folder location from the plug-ins preference file. This way you just need to open the pref file and copy the text of the new location.

Your preference files are found here:

User/Library/Preferences/com.fabfilter.pluginname.plist

Below your license key you should find a string like this:

<key>PresetFolder</key>
<string>/Users/username/Documents/FabFilter/Presets/Pro-C 2/</string>

You can simply replace the /User/username/Documents/FabFilter/Presets/
with your new location. Please note you need to keep the last folder of the specific plug-in in tact.

Hope that helps.

Ralph (FabFilter)

Hi Ralph,

Thanks for replying and providing a workaround 🙏🏻 Also just noting that your personal username is visible in the example file path in case you want to edit/redact it.

It probably goes without saying but I think there really should be a global preference to make this change from within any active FabFilter plugin.

Moreover, I have no idea why companies/developers think it's appropriate to dump application resources and preferences in a user's own Documents folder rather than Library/Application Support or Library/Preferences.

I'm a long-standing customer, and certainly not going anywhere, but I'd love to see this addressed in future releases from FabFilter!

Chris

Hi Chris,

Thanks for that, I forgot to black out my user name in the first string.

I get your point. The presets were initially stored in a location in the user library. However, this had some issues as the folder in which the presets were installed was not reachable for all hosts, so we had to move the presets to a different location. We discussed many options, and decided on the documents folder for multiple reasons. Lots of other plug-ins used this location, and it seemed like a good location if you want to keep your presets synced on multiple systems. I do understand it has downsides as well.

I will make a case internally about changing the preset location globally though.

Ralph (FabFilter)
Reply to this topic Go to the forum topic list