FabFilter User Forum

Can Pro-L2 reduce or eliminate the need for Mastering Compression?

Rookie question I guess, but given the sophistication of Pro-L2's limiting processing, is there a case for reducing the use of mastering compression or even eliminating it altogether? This is assuming the mastering compression is only being used to increase volume, not change tonality .

Nick

Hi Nick,

In most cases a compressor on the master bus or during mastering is used for a different reason than a limiter is being used. A compressor is often used to add a certain tone or color, or glue the elements together a certain wait. A limiter is simply used to increase the level of the track and not get peaks. These two work closely together. For example a mastering compressor may cause that the limiter after it does not have to limit as much. However, generally speaking a limiter will rarely replace a master compressor.

Ralph (FabFilter)

Thanks Ralph appreciate your insight. My question was partly prompted by the modest level of limiting required to target -14 LUFS post-master compression. Judging by the Pro-L2 graphs it seems in most cases the limiting is in the range of 1 to 3dB,which is less than I expected.

Nick

Hi Nick,

When using a target of -14LUFS you can indeed reach that level without using a whole lof of limiting.

Ralph (FabFilter)
Reply to this topic Go to the forum topic list