FabFilter User Forum

Play Volcano filter using midi controller?

Is it possible to play the Volcano 3 filter using a midi keyboard so it tracks the notes? It looks like it is on the help (www.fabfilter.com/help/volcano/using/midisource) but I haven't been able to get it to work.

KB tracking modulates the filter a little but I'd like the filter to follow the notes played so I can emphasise different frequencies that are in key. I've tried New Midi Source -> Controller but can't seem to get my midi keyboard to connect to it. I'm not sure what controller number to put here?

Thanks for any help!

Nick Webb

I just tried this and got it working:

1 - Click the keyboard icon on the bottom left of the spectrum display to show a MIDI keyboard.

2 - Double click on note C3 to create a filter (if you choose LP with a slope of 48 and add some peak, you can easily check the calibration)

3 - Create a MIDI Source and set it to 'Linear', drag it to the filter cut-off and slide the modulation amount to maximum.

The filter will now track the MIDI notes. To check calibration, create another filter (bell EQ with no gain) and drag the dot on the spectrum keyboard display to C4, press C4 on your keyboard - you should see the spectrum display for your first filter line up with the new filter. You can confirm the alignment up and down the frequency range by hitting notes on your controller keyboard and dragging the second filter to the note you last pressed.

Hope that helps.

Dan Johnson

Thank you Dan. Now working! Much appreciated

Nick Webb
Reply to this topic Go to the forum topic list