FabFilter User Forum

Timeless3 - switch behaviour of DelayTimePan.

When adjusting delay time pan, it always only increases the time for either the left or right side, depending on direction. This behaviour has some problems. Like it being hard to modulate stereo delays so the sides move symmetrically ahead of/behind the beat, since that requires both the delaytime and delaytime pan to be modulated, and some calculations for how much each. Also, if modulating only the delaytime pan, the pitch-shift introduced will alternate between left/right channel with the other channel being "stationary".

Any hope of changing the behaviour (or make it selectable), so that adjusting delay time pan to the right increases the right side AND decreases the left side delay time, and vice versa? (As opposed to now, just increasing the right side time, and leaving the left side stationary at 100% of delay time setting...)

Patrik Rydberg

Hi Patrik,

The DelayTimePan parameter indeed increases the delay time of one side only. If you want to keep the difference between left and right similar and adjust them symmetrically, you can use the Delay Time parameter, or Delay Offset when synced to the BPM.

Ralph (FabFilter)

Maybe I wasn't clear enough. I want the option to modulate the delay times of the left and right side symmetrically in amount, but in opposite directions. So, if I set a 1/8 delay time, when I apply modulation I want the right side to move behind that 1/8-note, and the left side to move an equal amount ahead of the 1/8-note, and vice versa.

Patrik Rydberg

What if you attach both to a single slider and use x2 negative value for pan?

Ploki

Apparently can't reply at all at the moment, get 403-forbidden...

Patrik Rydberg

Yes, that was my first thought aswell (though you probably mean the opposite, modulate time pan by x1 and time by negative x2). Unfortunately, that's not even close to giving the correct result.

Patrik Rydberg

First. Scaling for delay time and delay pan time seem different, so with 1x/-2x, they do not move symmetrically.

Patrik Rydberg

Second, and worse, pan delay always moves a delay in positive direction, just altering which side moves in positive direction. So, for it to work (even if the scaling was the same, or you figure out the correct multipliers) you need to modulate the delay time not with the negated modulator value, but with the negated absolute value of the modulator. I can't figure out any way to get that.

Patrik Rydberg

Just test yourself. Set it up on a -1/1 slider. For positive values of the slider, it's almost correct, just a scaling error. For negative values though, it just moves both sides waaaay back, due to both the positive delay time adjustment and "negative" pan adjustment moving both sides in positive directions.

Patrik Rydberg

Ok. So. Did some more testing around this. To clarify, the behaviour I'm after, symmetric but inverse modulation of the left/right delay line is really simple to do in Timeless2. Like so:
www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/z130tpkepbye23zqnnxl8/SymmetricModulationT2.png?rlkey=qxfakwd0zi4cm0jxzcwvfl9l9&dl=0

This example, with a modulated quarter delay, results in the delay taps being evenly spaced ahead of/behind the quarter. As in this example with a click as source:
www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/13e3pabmwyqvqkldkt7i7/SingleTapModulated.png?rlkey=bfl2y5b1arqphkhk1y4lughk0&dl=0

This behaviour, as far as I can tell, is pretty much impossible to accomplish in Timeless3, due to the delay pan knob only moving one of the delay lines, and not both in opposite directions. Timeless3 seems to agree, if you open the timeless2 preset in timeless3, it's not modulating the left/right delays independently at all, you just get a delay with equal modulation of left/right, the inversed modulation parameter for the right delay line modulation is just ignored.

(Timeless2-preset:
www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/v81t7racjqahwdhtl837s/SymmetricModulation.ffp?rlkey=6gouh4oe5ssdi2zsrlmgthbmu&dl=0
)

Patrik Rydberg

Kind of figured out a way to do it, but it's a bit convoluted. It's possible to use the limitation of the multitap-taps not being able to modulate past the feedback point/delaytime window to replicate the inverse of the delaytime-pan behaviour with two separately modulated taps at 100% panned hard left/right. Like so:

www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/1cna0qrtnjvhtdwtdgs0t/SymmetricModulationT3.ffp?rlkey=2oxh1duynccf1fqsfl9kwfowg&dl=0

That just runs into the slight problem that the delay time pan range seems off for the first 25% of the range. I'll post a separate bug description of that shortly...

Patrik Rydberg
Reply to this topic Go to the forum topic list