FabFilter User Forum

Q3 - Harmonic Cut/Boost

Pro Q has been shamelessly copied countless times (though never matched). Perhaps it's time to return the favor and implement something along the lines of what Scaler EQ does. Please consider the option to boost harmonic frequencies in key and conversely cut inharmonic frequencies.

Steve Gietz

Why on earth would you want that?

ScalerEQ is a funny special-fx plugin, but there's absolutely nothing about it making it mix-worthy.

Ploki

I respectfully disagree :)

Steve

No offense, but this is not something that’s a matter of opinion, Scaler EQ introduces terrible phase distortion, smears all transients and except synths that don’t modulate in pitch at all there isn’t a sound in existence that would have harmonics aligned to scale grid which results in wierd boosts and combfilter like effects.

There’s lengthy discussions about it on all forums.

ScalerEQ is gimmicky and selling it as a mixing tool is misleading.
The examples sound terrible.
It’s a fun creative experiment and it ends there.

Thankfully i’m not at all afraid Fabfilter would implement it because they know better.
Please don’t take this the wrong way

Ploki

I'm coming back here to eat some humble pie.

I admit I was a bit smitten when I first tried it. I had been experimenting with harmonic EQ techniques and had some interesting results (in a good way). I'm here to say that you're all absolutely correct. After spending some more time with it, I agree it's a gimmick and the usefulness has diminished greatly.

Steve

Well that doesn't happen often on the internet :D Props!

Ploki
Reply to this topic Go to the forum topic list