FabFilter User Forum

How to make IRs ITB to import into Pro R-2

Hi,

I'm wondering what's the easiest way to record the impulse response of a software reverb plugin to load into Pro R-2 for emulation? Does anyone know how to do it?

Could be a feature request too: Add functionality to Pro R-2 (or a separate plugin?) to make IRs?

Thanks,

Jeremy.

Jeremy

Hi Jeremy,

The easiest way to do so it to play a short transient sound like a clap or a gunshot through the plug-in and record the output. Trim the start and stop of the recording and you can load the file into Pro-R 2.

We did think of adding an IR creator tool to Pro-R 2, but this is more difficult than you would think. It would mean a much later release date. We are thinking of maybe adding one in the future, or at least making a detailed description of how to do so.

Ralph (FabFilter)

Thanks Ralph,

I ended up using a digital click (i.e. a single sample of amplitude 1) generated in Max. It worked ok, actually, for profiling a digital plugin Reverb. It would obviously not work for a real room because the SNR would be too bad. Really what I would want is a sine sweep, but then it's not so straightforward to invert that. (I used to have some MATLAB code to do it but not any more!) Actually, now that I think of it again, Room EQ Wizard (free software for profiling rooms) might be able to do it? Not sure.

It'd be great to see it as a feature of a future Pro-R 2 release, but I bet there are lots of complexities I haven't thought of.

Thanks!

Jeremy.

Jeremy

Hi Jeremy,

When using a sine sweep to create an IR, Pro-R 2 would need to know exactly what sweep is being used; how low it is, the slope of the sweep, etc. We'd basically need to have design our own sweet that can only be used for this. It's a lot easier to use a short transient, and the results between the two are neglectable.

Ralph (FabFilter)
Reply to this topic Go to the forum topic list