FabFilter User Forum

Why did you add CLAP support?

Hi all,

many people all around the internet are wondering right now why you added CLAP support. As the advantages are not directly obvious: What were the reason to implement this?

ralfrobert

All existing plugin formats are to some extent owned by someone: VST and VST3 by Steinberg, AU by Apple, and AAX by Avid. I think the main reason CLAP was created is to provide an alternative that is not owned by a big corporation. We are an independent company, so supporting an independent format like CLAP and hopefully helping it to thrive is good for us and for our users in the long run.

There are some interesting features in CLAP that are different from other standards. We don't support all of them yet, but we do support preset discovery, which lets the host index all presets in a plug-in. You can try it in Bitwig! On an instrument track, click the + to add a plug-in and now just type the name or some tags of a preset, say "pad soft" and get a list of all Twin 3 presets that have "soft" and "pad" as tags. Double-click one to add a Twin 3 instance with this preset loaded.

Important! We discovered an issue yesterday that caused all our CLAP plug-ins to produce the default sound when restoring a saved session. We fixed that in new builds today, so please download and install again:
www.fabfilter.com/download

The fixed plug-ins have a December 20 build date which you can check via Help > About in the plug-in interface.

Cheers,

Frederik (FabFilter)

Thanks a lot for the explanation.

ralfrobert

As a Cubendo user, I have no skin in the Clap game... What I do hope though, is like the PC installer.. the Mac installer improved to allow you to choose which formats you install (I have no use for AU, AAX or Clap).
thanks
rsp

Richard Patterson

I wanted to jump ship from Cubase for a long time. Mostly because of a deep dislike of Steinberg haughty and abrasive behavior as a corporation over the years, as it directly affected me in many very concrete ways.

Today I'm more than happy to have made the switch to Presonus Studio One, which made me by contrast even more dislike what I know perceive as an antiquated Cubase. On the openness front, I also really appreciate Studio One support for the DAW Project file format. So I hope they will be amongst the next DAWs to adopt CLAP.

To me, the attraction is of course modern and fresh ideas like polyphonic and/or non-destructive modulation, but then, there is the open source/commons perspective... Proprietary software editors, otherwise competitors, that share well understood interests and the freedom of innovation from an open stewardship?

Already, talks around CLAP have brought so much that decades of VST stewardship by Steinberg never brought to life. Simple and elegant innovations that never were a priority for an editor otherwise preoccupied with its own narrow struggle with a snowballing technical debt.

So I really appreciate and am very happy when the most innovative people/software editors gave it their best support.

So that's a big thank you from me!

Afafius

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe a single FabFilter Plugin is AU v3.0 compliant for Logic Pro on OS X.

If I am incorrect, where does one find that plist information?

Marc Driftmeyer
Reply to this topic Go to the forum topic list