FabFilter User Forum

Timeless: 45 ms Minimum Delay Time, when Pitch Shift activated

Hello everybody,

I want to create fatter vocals (i have only one recording, no doubles) by pitching it down/up by 6 Cents left/right and applying a different but small delay time < 30 ms to utilize the Haas effect. Why is the minimum delay time automatically set to 45 ms, when pitch shifting is activated. Any clues how to circumvent this?

Best regards,

Klaus

Klaus Esser

The 45 ms is by design.

I tried to do something similar to “double” my vocals (because I’m usually too lazy to sing it twice :D ) with the plugin’s times, pitch and modulations. The nearest I could get an OK, but not satisfactory enough, result was to duplicate the vocal track then offset the copied track by -X ms and then put Timeless on it. (Although, I ended up with the one, single original track again using Timeless without the pitch. Just as OK.)

Valentine Pecovnik

Thank you. Does anybody know about the reason for this 45 ms limit? I also thought about doing it on separate channels. Would just be so great to do everything in one plugin :/

Klaus Esser

Hi Klaus,

When the Pitch effect is enabled the minimum delay increases from 5msec to 45msec. Simply put, pitching the signal requires some processing time, which is about 40msec. We like to keep Timeless 3 zero latency and increased the minimal delay time instead when Pitch is enabled.

Ralph (FabFilter)

Thank you for the information. I will use a work around then and use timesless only for the delay.

Best regards,

Klaus Esser

Klaus Esser

Hi Ralph,

would it be possible to create a non-live mode that allows lower delay times? Being able to set it to lower than 5ms would be great for flanger type effects too.

Cheers,
Peter

Pete
Reply to this topic Go to the forum topic list