FabFilter User Forum

Pro R2 Shutting down DAW without warning on using Preset Browser

I think we have a major bug with the new Pro R2. Upon using the Preset Browser and attempting to select one, my DAW (and it happens on both Cubase and Studio One) shuts down without warning.

David Carter

The same happens here :-(, Studio One, win 10

Dieter Stemmer

It´s fine on Reaper 7.02- Mac 12.6.7

Marcus Holzapfel

Thanks for the report, we would love to track this down! Unfortunately the crash doesn't happen on our Windows systems so far. Is there any kind of crash log that you can send?

Normally, to save a crash log on Windows, right-click the taskbar when the crash has occurred, and click Task Manager. In the list of tasks, locate your host. Right-click it and click Create dump file. Save the file to disk, and send it to us with a service such as WeTransfer (it will be large).

However, this only works when the host is in a "crashed" state. If it shuts down immediately there is nothing to find in Task Manager.

Cheers,

Frederik (FabFilter)

Hi Frederick,

It's shutting down without warning so there's no dump file to send you. However, when I re-open either Cubase or Studio One (both the latest editions on Windows 10) they tell me that the Pro R2 vst3 is the offending plugin.

David Carter

I can absolutely confirm that. PRO-R2 crashes reproducibly when you select a preset.

My configuration is Cubase 12 Pro and PRO-R2 was inserted as an insert effect.

Torsten Evers

Cubase created a crash dump for me. If it helps, I can provide this. Feel free to contact me by email.

Torsten Evers

Hi Torsten,

I've just send you an email, thanks very much!

Cheers,

Frederik (FabFilter)

Hi Frederik,

I just sent you the crash dump via WeTransfer and hope it helps to locate the error.

Regards

Torsten

Torsten Evers

Hi!

I can also confirm that Cubase 13 crashes if you put Pro R2 on an insert. I use the vst3 version on a Win 10 PC. I can also send a crash dump files, if it helps.
Best,

Andreas

Andreas Hack

Thanks Andreas! With Torsten's crash dump, I was able to pinpoint the problem and it appears to occur only on mono tracks.

Can everyone here please confirm that the crash only occurs on a mono track? Then we're sure that this is the fix, so we can do a bug-fix update tomorrow.

Thanks all!

Frederik (FabFilter)

Hi Frederik!

I also used Pro R2 on a mono track.

Best,

Andreas

Andreas Hack

Hi, it crashes in mono but not in stereo.

Björn

I tried in Logic Pro. Inserting a mono instance on a mono track does crash the plugin, however inserting a mono->stereo instance works.

Rune Thoen

I have just upgraded to PRO-R2 using Mac OS Sonoma with Studio one 6 but it crushes when i try to load a preset. Please help.

Edward Mukiibi

Crashes on MBP, M2, Logic when selecting preset.

John Ehrich

Hi Frederik,

I can confirm that when I applied R2 to a stereo track as an audio insert in Cubase the browser appeared to work OK.

David Carter

Logic Pro, when used as an FX send it appears to be working. As an effect insert in series/within the individual channel it crashes.

John Ehrich

I have the same problem too. Upgraded to Pro R2, loaded it onto my Vocal reverb group. It crashes every time I select a new preset. Try restart my computer thinking that it maybe just the first load. It crashes big time every-time since the first load. Please help to rectify this problem.

Jimmy Fong

Hi there,
Same problem here with studio one and windows 10

jean emmanuel sultana

I'm able to replicate the crash.

Enrique Silveti

We have found a bug in mono instances of Pro-R 2 that can cause a crash when loading a preset. We'll provide a new installer with a fix asap.

Ralph (FabFilter)

Yup. Same her

Graham Kirkman

We have just released a 2.01 update of Pro-R 2 which fixes this issue! Could you download from www.fabfilter.com/download and check if this solves the crashes?

See www.fabfilter.com/news/1699002000/fabfilter-pro-r-201-update-released for more info.

Floris (FabFilter)

I have just tried the 2.01 fix on a mono track in Cubase (where 2.0 was causing a crash yesterday) and it now seems to be working fine.

Thanks for a rapid response to this issue.

David Carter

I'm seeing a similar thing in ProG audio suite. Browsing the preset manu leads to a beach ball even before selecting a preset,

Hans

Re-installing the whole bundle seems to have fixed it

Hans

Michael Weber

Nothing but problems with Pro-R 2 input/out volume issues also doesn't sound as good as Relab LX480 or SoundToys SuperPlate.

Pro-R 2 sounds Digital?

Michael Weber

Hi Michael,

What input/output volume issues are you having?

Ralph (FabFilter)

Hello Ralph,

When I load Pro-R [original current SW] it's always sits perfect when loaded to track or effect-bus. Loading Pro-R 2 either track or bus, the
volume has to be "reduced/lowered?" or it overdrives, even turning all
or any other plugins off [PreSonus Studio One 6 Pro current SW].

I've tried to Un-Installed Pro-R 2 then reinstall, same experience?
I really can't use Pro-R 2 as I also feel it sounds awful, extremely
"Digital" whereas Pro-R sounds more smooth analog like.

Thank You!

Michael Weber

Hi Michael,

When you're using the Modern style in Pro-R 2 it's exactly the same as the original Pro-R. If you set the character to 0% on both, and thickness to 0% on Pro-R 2, they will even completely null in a null test. It's possible you don't like the plate or vintage style, but the modern style is identical to v1.

Could you send us a video of your level issue?

Ralph (FabFilter)

Hello Ralph, I've uninstalled Pro-R 2 and have gone back to Pro-R Sorry can't give a video of my experience, maybe I'll try again after the next update, I'm at a point of uninstalling "all" FabFilter Plugs, as I use others most of the time.

Thanks.....

Michael Weber

Downloaded the total bundle from the downloads page and installed the program, however after the installation I can't find the plugins, as if they are nowhere. The only thing I can find on my computer is Fab Filter presets but they are only 6,8 mb in size. I have a new Mac Studio M2, wondering if that's the issue. The plugins worked fine on my M1 Macbook Air.

Thanks!

Madeleine

Our products are plug-ins. They need a DAW to run, and do not work as standalone applications. You will not find them in the applications folder, or as an icon on your desktop. After installation, please run your preferred DAW. Most of them scan for new plug-ins automatically. When your DAW is launched, the plug-ins should appear in your plug-in list. Please insert the plug-in on a track. When you insert the plug-in on a track for the first time, you will be asked to enter your license key, after which a restart of your DAW is needed. After this restart, your plug-ins should work.

Ralph (FabFilter)
Reply to this topic Go to the forum topic list