FabFilter User Forum

Pro-Q3 presets available anywhere?

Hello audio pros!

I'm still learning the basics of EQ'ing and I'm studying the available preset curves that came with Pro-Q3. I'm wondering if anybody can recommend free or for sale banks of .ffp presets in every category (i.e. drum bus, vocals, guitars, mastering, bass, etc...)?

I've found the stock presets are really good but somewhat limited.

I've scanned the web and found a couple of interesting sites that sell small packages but I'm not sure what I'll receive. I know these are just starting points but they really help give me a perspective. Maybe you can relate to this?

Possibly would anyone be willing to share some of their preset banks and help out an EQ noob like myself?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
Michael

Michael

Hi Michael,

The reason you don't generally find EQ presets is because it's so dependent on your material that you are trying to EQ. The right settings for one kick drum (in the context of the rest of the track) will be totally different to another.

I'd really recommend watching some videos on EQ fundamentals rather than looking for presets - the fabfilter videos on YouTube are a good starting point!

Cheers

Ben P

Sound advice Ben. Seems all knowledge pertains to drum application, which to me is MIDI and future and not presently important to my schedule.

What is pertinent is ducking, which Q3 is excellent at. I duck my guitar giving room to vocals and only slightly.

What I have discovered is that no amount of Q3 will fix something that's wrong when it arrives there (and still sound at all natural). If more than 10 filters are required, something's wrong upstream.

It could be thin signal, too much compression, effect cancling phase or other things.

If upstream is good to go, Q3 can subtly shine and so will the music.

If a couple frequencies are compressing the master, a little attenuation attention there might free up the mix. Q3 can easily identify the perpetrators, especially used temporarily on the master track.

I wish there were more videos on utility to supplement videos on enhancement. I still learn through dedication to study after gleaning jewels from the manuals.

Manuals and videos would benefit from examples.

But this is just another opinion so take it for what it's worth.

Shall

James (Shall) Hall
Reply to this topic Go to the forum topic list