FabFilter User Forum

Pro-L output level CHANGES THE OVERALL VOLUME!

So today in things that enrage me...

I found out that the "output level" in the Pro-L, while it claims to simply set the maximum output level the compressor will allow... it doesn't exactly do ONLY that... oh no...

While trying to use it to brick way a sound to not go over 9 db I found out that the output level is indeed turning the track down about 9 db... so now not only does the sound NOT hit 9db... EVERY OTHER PART OF THE TRACK IS 9 DB QUIETER!!!!!!!!!!

***%^$&#&#^@^@&$&$&### MOTHER (%*#$*#*@*@&@&$*$

WTF IS THIS???????????????????? WHY CAN'T I SIMPLY SET AN OUTPUT LEVEL AND HAVE THE **&%^# THING NOT LET AUTO GO OVER THAT LIKE I THOUGHT IT WAS SUPPOSED TO... WHY WHY WHY IS IT LOWERING THE OVERALL VOLUME??????????

matt hoefler

1) chill

2) if you want to slam something into the limiter without changing relative levels, hold option while adjusting the input.

this will effectively boost the input into the threshold and lower the output by the same amount.

you obviously haven't read the manual, and this works exactly as intended and how a limiter should work.

Ploki

also, it nowhere anywhere claims that the output control will do anything except adjust gain

Ploki

wrong wrong and WRONG!

where do idiots like you COME FROM...

WHY would I want to boost the gain ONLY to NOT loose volume when peaking

2. NO... other limiters DO NOT work like this... in fact NONE do and this one shouldn't either!!!!!

3. i makes NO SENSE... if I'm setting my limit to -.3, I only want the signal to NEVER exceed that... I DON'T WANT THE OVERALL VOLUME TO DROP -.3 DB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Did i mention that NO OTHER LIMITER WORKS LIKE THAT??? Brickwall threshold means brickwall threshold.. it doesn't mean "turn the gain down"

I JUST looked at the manual...it says NOTHING about the output level affecting the overall volume.. .and I already KNEW THAT!!!! BECAUSE IT'S NOT SUPPOSED TO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's obvious YOU don't know what you're talking about... open the Pro-L 2 up on a hi hat or something and JUST see if you can catch the peaks with the output level... YOU'LL NOTICE SOMETHING

matt hoefler

I agree with Matt. It should trim off any gains above the targeted Limit output.

Working with any piece of Rupert Neve Designs hardware where a Trim level is set I generate the Transformer saturation gain inputs I want and then the Master Limiter Trims off at the levels I set on the Output Trim target.

Marc Driftmeyer

Fabfilter is fairly clear this is how it works. Boost (using the GAIN knob) into the limiter to get the gain reduction you want, then control output volume using the Output Level knob, which does not impact the level of limiting. Select the 1:1 button if you don't want to change the overall volume - that way you boost to get the desired level of gain reduction and it works exactly the same as setting the threshold you would on another limiter.

In any case, the documentation was there for you to read before you bought and used it, so while you're here shouting at other people and calling them idiots, maybe worth holding a mirror up here.

From the manual directly:
"The Gain slider is the most important control: it adds gain to the incoming signal to make it louder, while limiting to the maximum output level specified in the bottom bar."

Ben P

Matt, let's try and keep it civilized here. Whether you like the way our limiter works or not, there's no reason to start calling other forum members idiots. Feedback presented in a constructive manner is always appreciated, but shouting and calling people names is not.

Ralph (FabFilter)

It's broken there's no other explanation; if you don't realize that you are not of the sound mind to be commenting

matt hoefler

I contacted fabfilter and they admit that the manual is confusing...
it literally gives you the impression this $170 plugin WORKS, and works the way a limiter is supposed to... it doesn't!

Streaming services recommend an output level of between -.3 and -1 db...

does this $170 limiter allow you to meet those specifications?

NO!!!!! NO IT DOESN'T!!!

So are you galaxy brains starting to get a mental picture as to what the scope of the problem is with this thing?

Additional... since the output level is locked at 0 db... what point do the attack and release serve????? If you can't change the output level what does setting a slow attack time result in... a signal that exceeds 0 db????????????????????????

This thing is a piece of fucking junk and you defend it?????????????????

Instead of defending it's flawed design why don't you grow a brain and insist they FIX IT like I am??????????

Realize that if they did fix it... you could still use it the same way you use it now... you'd just have a way to ACTUALLY set the output ceiling... the MOST primary function of a limiter!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

matt hoefler

@ Ben P

You might want to read the manual yourself... there is it again... it claims AGAIN this;

"The Output Level knob plays an important role: it sets the desired maximum output level for the limiter. It seems natural to set it to 0.0 dB: you want the output to be as loud as possible, right? Not so fast."

[...]

"he final Output Level ceiling you choose, depends on the metering standard you need to comply with and/or the medium you are mastering for. Theoretically, you could leave it at 0.0 dBTP with True Peak Limiting enabled, but commonly used metering standards like EBU R128 or ATSC A/85 require a specific maximum dB True Peak level (-1.0 dBTP and -2.0 dBTP respectively), just like popular streaming services as Spotify and Youtube (-1.0 dBTP). When mastering for CD or iTunes, you're safe with -0.1 dBTP. Note that metering standards and requirements tend to change once in a while, so it's always wise to stay updated about the current developments."

so how good is your reading comprehension?
It CLAIMS you can set the output level RIGHT THERE.

I'm starting to think... maybe you can (?) But, AGAIN, the problem is that changing that output level ALSO lowers the volume.
So if you want to use the limiter to limit at -9 db... you turn the volume DOWN -9 db instead of JUST catching those peaks at -9 db... and you think it's supposed to work like that??????????

The answer is NO it's not... it's fucked up. they have this ONE "output level" controlling TWO parameters when it should be two separate controls.

Save yourself the embarrassment of looking like an idiot and just realize I'm correct okay, because I am.

matt hoefler

Jeez, to make such a problem when there is none.

Increase the gain to make it go into desired limiting, adjust output level to....adjust output level/ceiling. This is the most functional way for a limiter in the last slot on the master bus, which is where it mostly will be used.

Hold Option/Alt while pushing that gain knob to link the parameters, and thus effectively functioning as a threshold control, which it seems you expect.

Rune Thoen

@Rune Thoen

you have to be brain dead...

WHY would I boost volume into a limiter to over come it turning the volume that WAS there down JUST to get to the ceiling that's intended, which is ALSO arbitrarily turning the gain down in tandem with setting a ceiling?

you seriously have a learning disability if you cannot understand why this is NOT how it should work...

If you think it makes sense working like that you either have never actually used it to even understand what I'm talking about or you are mentally retarded. There is NO way anyone can tell me that's how it's supposed to work for about 15 reasons I won't do into... but again if you don't understand why I question if you ACTUALLY mix or master music

matt hoefler

There's no way anyone can tell you anything, it seems. Jeez. Happy learning.

Rune Thoen

So, after much deliberation, you bought a certain product, and now you want the manufacturer to convert it, to work as other manufacturers' products. If you prefer the other's function better, why didn't you choose from them?
And what about the other customers? Can you accept the fact that those who chose this product, want to use it as they have known it before it was purchased ?

Ferenc

Must be silly trolling. The Pro-L2 works like all other mastering limiters, but they've chosen to use a Gain control instead of Threshold. Effectively they do exactly the same...except you have to move the control in the opposite direction. I find it hard to believe that this will make someone's head explode.

Rune Thoen

Mind boggling

Ploki

1) the knob on ProL2 is output gain, not output CEILING.
2) there’s plenty of coveted limiters that work like this, i.e Voxengo Elephant, Oxford Limiter, DMG Limitless.

Nowhere in ProL2 does it say “ceiling” so assuming it works as a ceiling is a mistake on your part.
It’s not broken and it tops every limiter list for a reason.

Ceiling in ProL2 is 0dB, trim is your output knob. When in truepeak mode, nothing goes over what output is set to.

Attack on a limiter is basically “hold” before release (and causes pumping). It’s pretty standard as well.
Faster attack means it starts release envelope SOONER = more distortion.
longer attack = later release

Release = how quickly it returns to zero after attack stage is triggered.

Simple mastering workflow:
- set output to somewhere below 0 (-0.5 for example) and push the input to whatever.

If you just want to shave peaks, you’ve been explained 10times how to achieve that with a single modifier.

And again, chill.

Ploki
Reply to this topic Go to the forum topic list