FabFilter User Forum

"Synthesizing kicks with Volcano 3" video is incorrect about envelope generator decay / release behavior

Hi all,

In this video (link below), Dan mentions that there is a way to have envelope generators essentially ignore note off and always output the same envelope shape / duration regardless of when a note off is received. The trick is to set the sustain to 0 and the decay and release to the same value. That's not the behavior I see in the latest version of Volcano (3.03) and Twin (3.01).

In my experiments, if the midi off is received while the signal is still decaying, the release phase will start and will last for the full duration of the release value. In other words, if the the attack is 0s, the decay and sustain are both 1sec, and a midi note last 0.5sec, the envelope will take 1.5 sec to fully complete. If the midi note last more than 1sec, it will take 1 sec to fully complete. If the midi note lasts 0.2 sec, it will take 1.2 secs to fully complete.

Question to FabFilter: Has the behavior of envelope generators changed since the video was published (Summer 2022)?

Best,
J

Link to video: www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZ1IznOnroA&t=188s

Link to my comment: www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZ1IznOnroA&lc=UgwSNA78uDwzXw3argF4AaABAg.9c54jtBlng39o8EORxF8AO

Julien Nakache

Hi Julien,

I can confirm that Volcano 3.03 behaves like you are saying, but I'm also seeing the same behavior from earlier versions. So I think Dan is not completely correct here in the tutorial video. Of course this trick does make the behavior roughly similar for notes of different lengths, but definitely not completely the same.

Cheers,

Frederik (FabFilter)

Got it. Thanks for the confirmation!

Julien Nakache
Reply to this topic Go to the forum topic list