FabFilter User Forum

Pro Q3 sidechain not working in Pro Tools 2022.12

I have Pro Q3 inserted on a track with dynamics enabled. I have a mono send from another track to a dedicated mono bus for the Pro Q3 sidechain signal. I have that bus selected as Pro Q3's sidechain "key" input.

Everything appears correct but it is having no effect. I can turn the send level all the way down to 0dB and Pro Q3's dynamics are still moving around responding to the track it's on - NOT the sidechain signal.

In other words, it appears the sidechain input is not working.

Pro Q3 v3.11, Pro Tools vs 2012.12 on Win 10

Jeff

Just updated to latest Pro Q3 version (3.21) and it's still not working. The send bus being used to feed Pro Q3's sidechain "key" input has signal but Pro Q3 is not responding to it.

Jeff

Closed Pro Tools and reopened with Pro Q3 v3.21 installed and now it's working. No other changes. Don't know why it didn't work previously but it's good now.

Jeff

ARGH! Sorry for the multiple posts - no, it is NOT working. The plugin dynamics are tracking the main signal, not the sidechain signal. Switching sidechain key from "no input" to the sidechain bus makes no difference in the plugin's dynamic EQ action.

I tested this with a sidechained send track that has blank areas with no audio. Pro Q3 is still showing dynamic action in these areas where there should be nothing happening.

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

Have you enabled external side-chaining for the specific band? Besides selecting the side-chain bus at the top left of the plug-in menu, you also need to enable external side-chaining per band. You do this by clicking the "Auto" button at the top of the gain button on a dynamic band. This will show some extra features, including a threshold slider and a little button to engage external side-chain.

Ralph (FabFilter)
Reply to this topic Go to the forum topic list