FabFilter User Forum

twin's oscillators are dull

I've been comparing some basic patches on Ableton's Analog synth and a few plugins and I keep getting the impression that the Ableton synth has brighter oscillators. I decided to confirm this with a spectrograph and this does seem to be the case:

FabFilter Twin:
i176.photobucket.com/albums/w168/milesegan/twinsaw-1.png

Ableton Analog:
i176.photobucket.com/albums/w168/milesegan/analogsaw.png

Is this by design? The extra brightness of the Ableton synth makes it a lot easier to do some patches.

kuniklo

I have Ableton Suite and FF Twin. I am quite a fan of Ableton in general but I always go for FF Twin (FF One) in preference to Analogue, so much easier to use. I always found the FF products bright enough.

Little Pig

We've carefully tuned the oscillators until they sounded just right in our opinion. :-) Incidentally, what I mainly see in the Ableton Analog graph is horrible aliasing (you can really see the frequencies 'mirror' at the high end of the frequency range).

Cheers,

Frederik (FabFilter)

Yeah. There's definitely some aliasing there, although I don't think it's particularly audible. I think I'm willing to live with a little aliasing if it makes the oscillators that much brighter. I really have to struggle to get a bright sound out of Twin.

kuniklo

Hmm, I think the sound is quite bright with both filters turned off...

Cheers,

Frederik (FabFilter)

Twin is a virtual analog. A Mini Moog for instance is not a particularly bright synth. I find Live's Analog too bright, the aliasing drives me nuts. Just my 2 cents. To each his own.

Brendan Titrud

I don't think they are dull at all in fact I love them. They sound more authentic to me and they sit very well in my mixes, with little work.

FabMan
Reply to this topic Go to the forum topic list