FabFilter User Forum

Pro-R Memory Leak?

I've got a Mac Studio running Bitwig 4.3.8 and Pro-R 1.13 VST3. Last night, I was improvising with a hardware synth through Bitwig and Pro-R (no other plugins). I left things running overnight and when I got back to it this afternoon, I saw that iStat Menus claimed Bitwig was using 53 gigs of ram. I then deleted Pro-R from the project and ram use dropped down to 1.3 GB. I added Pro-R back in and have since noticed the ram usage increasing by about a meg a second.

Can anyone else with a similar setup try reproducing?

-b

Bill

I could reproduce this problem in Bitwig 4.3.8 (Intel).
When I started Bitwig and loaded Pro-R (VST3), the 'Bitwig Plugin Host' process used at the beginning 359 MB memory and after 20 min. 1360 MB (991 MB increase in 20 min).

I did the same test under Bitwig 4.1 (Intel) and got an increase of 657 MB over 20 min.

In Bitwig 4.3.8:
When I loaded the u-he Satin plugin there was almost no increase of memory (0.2 MB in 10 min).

The Volcano 3 also showed a memory increase of 284 MB over 10 min.

I don't know if this problem is specific to FabFilter Plugins under Bitwig or also if this happens also under other DAWs.
And why is this happening at all?

Olli

Glad to hear someone else give it a try and report back.

I noticed as well that the memory increase only seemed to happen for me when Pro-R was visible. If it was not being displayed and rather just running in a Bitwig channel, the memory increase did not happen. Makes me think it is related somehow to the rendering of the UI.

Bill

Thanks for the reply!
Good to know that this related to GUI!

Olli

Thanks for the reports! We're going to investigate.

Cheers,

Frederik (FabFilter)

Good luck, Frederik. Let me (us?) know if you need any extra info to track down the problem. Happy to try beta builds w/ debug logging, etc.

<3 FabFilter!

Bill

To get back to this, after thorough investigation we believe this is caused by a bug in Bitwig and have contacted their development team so they can fix it.

Cheers,

Frederik (FabFilter)

Thanks for the Info and the efforts!

Olli
Reply to this topic Go to the forum topic list