FabFilter User Forum

No MIDI input

Hi all,

Anyone experiencing problems with the MIDI Learn function? None of my plugs (FX Pro Bundle) respond to any of my MIDI controllers in Ableton (7.0.7) (indicator not flashing).

Controller 'Track' is activated in Ableton's preferences and the MIDI monitor button is enabled.

Any ideas?

greetings
Pascal

Pascal

Hi Pascal,

Getting MIDI into an effect plug-in in Ableton is quite a hassle actually. For example, if you have an Instrument track with a synth and an effect plug-in, MIDI will be routed to the synth and will not reach the effect plug-in at all...

I'm not the most experience Ableton user, so maybe anyone else can help us out here? I'll do some testing myself here as well...

Floris (FabFilter)

Pascal,

a) create an extra midi track for remote control of the plug-in.

b) set its output to the track where the plug-in resides.

important: there's a 2nd list-object under the the track selector (at the beginning it says: "Track in"). Change it to the plug-in you want to control.

c) set the target track to "Monitor in" or in record-state and you're ready to control the parameters.

this also works with plug-ins that are bundled into a rack. the dropdown-list shows all existing plugs and let you adress them.

note: this also means that you have to create an extra midi track for every plug-in you want to control!

you simply can't control an FX on a vsti-track by recording directly into this track. you have to make the detour via the extra midi-track. this also applies to already made controlnumber-settings. you have to use a seperate channel all the time.

hth, fabfan

Fabfan

correction for c)

track-state "Auto" is also good for processing midi control-change

Fabfan

Thanks Fabfan :-)

Floris (FabFilter)

FabFan saved the day, thanks guys!

Now, it is time for the mighty swoosh...

Pascal

Has this been streamlined yet or do you still have to create an extra track?

Alex

This is a short coming of Live actually, which doesn't automatically route MIDI through to all effects plugins in a track.
So yes.

Alternatively I suggest the more elegant route (IMHO) of creating a group (=instrument rack) of the instrument at the beginning of the track and add Live's "External instrument" to that group. In the external instrument you can assign where to route the MIDI it receives, select the current track and the plugin you want to send it to.
For MIDI learning this may not be that more efficient, but I like it better if you want for example have MIDI notes or CC sent to an effect.
Hope that helps.

Bram
Reply to this topic Go to the forum topic list