FabFilter User Forum

Bug in Saturn 2 - Band mix can not go 100% dry

Hi I just discovered the band mix dials do not go fully dry.

Its very very close but not quite 100% dry, if you really push the distortion hard you can just about notice it on the more aggressive settings.

I thought at first i was imagining it, so I added the original signal to a parallel track and flipped the phase to subtract the two. This should result in silence, but it doesn't. And not only is there sound but the character of the sound changes with each distortion algorithm, so its not just a volume discrepancy.

subtle tape
subtle saturation
subtle transformer
gentle transformer
warm transformer

all work correctly, but the rest dont

The global mix dial works fine, setting that to 100% dry gets rid of all the effect.

Like I say its very mild, its taken me months of use to finally notice it, but it is there if you listen for it.

Allan Goodey

can confirm this bug is present in version 2.06, the latest one.

Allan Goodey

Hi Allan,

Good find! In fact, the Mix setting for the band does work correctly, but Saturn always uses an extra global soft clipping on the output to keep the output level within reasonable limits. That soft clipping is much reduced if you only use the new subtle "mastering" styles, which you listed, like Subtle Tape. The global mix does bypass the global soft clipping as well.

In short, this is working as designed. :)

Cheers,

Frederik (FabFilter)
Reply to this topic Go to the forum topic list