FabFilter User Forum

Q3 Changing bit depth after apply-Adobe Audition

Hi.

16 bit file. Audition 14. Amplitude analysis indicates file is 16 bit file before applying Q3 effect. After the Q3 effect is applied, the same Amplitude analysis indicates the file is now 32 bits.

I'm guessing you are make amplitude changes in Q3 at 32 bit precision for each band. So even though it is a 16 bit file, once I apply the Q3 effect the track has 32 bit amplitude information associated with it—which is why audition is seeing it as a 32 bit file.

If I save the file at 16 bit, I will introducing rounding errors in those bands with 32 bit amplitude information.

Am I understanding this correctly...and any suggestions? I'm hearing some slight differences in the saved 16 bit file compared to what I'm hearing when I'm editing the file in Q3.

Thanks,
Mike

Mike

Hi Mike,

It's to be expected that there are changes at the 32-bit precision level after you've processed the file with Pro-Q 3. You can still save it at 16 bits as long as you're no longer planning to subsequently process the file. Otherwise, it's best to leave intermediate copies at 32 bits.

Cheers,

Frederik (FabFilter)

Understood. Is it necessary to dither when saving to 24 bit of 16 bit output file? If Q3 does 32 bit precision I'm thinking yes?

Mike
Reply to this topic Go to the forum topic list