FabFilter User Forum

Pro q3 crashes ableton

Hi dear support team,
when Im loading pro q3 on my ableton 11 suite it´s often freezing and when i leave it as it is nothing happens besides the frozen pro q3. but when i try to close the vst window the whole daw crashes.
I dont know how to solve. I already reinstalled everything.

n3

What OS are you using? Please note that the latest versions of our plug-ins are supported on macOS 10.12 and higher. Lower versions can cause crashes or graphics issues.

Ralph Verdult (FabFilter)

Frustratingly, I'm having exactly the same issue. As it stands, I cannot use Pro-Q3 AT ALL. It's own UI freezes, and drags Ableton 11 down with it...

I have no idea how to even begin to remedy the situation.

I've attempted clean re-installation of both Ableton and Pro-Q3 and even on a new empty live set with just a single audio track, a single instance of Pro-Q3 locks up Live and requires it be force-closed.

It is repeatable 100% of the time.

Can anyone provide clues on where to start?

I've already provided comprehensive system information and Ableton crash logs to both Ableton and FabFilter, but have not even received an acknowledgement let alone any advice on how to fix or work around...

Phil Couling

I got the latest Version of Windows 10 Home 64bit and running the latest Version of ableton 11.
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600x 4.20 GHz
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti
Memorie: 2x NVMe Samsung SSD 970 SCS

Nils Barthelmes

Has anyone had any issue? I cant even use anything from the complete bundle with out ableton 11 crashing on me. Also, Ralph, that link for the beta testing doesnt work as well.

Jacob Patterson

Same! FabFilter Pro Q 3 stops Ableton Live from opening sessions / crashes Ableton Live 11, when opening the session. Very frustrating!
Newest Ableton Version on M1 MacBook Pro.

Johannes

Imac, Mojave 10.14.6
Ableton 11.1.6
Fabfilter 3.21

The EQ has become unusable. Just a normal filtersweep makes the pro Q3 hang, taking Ableton down with it and gets my computer to hang completely..

Help.

Skov Bowden

how strange ive also just started having issues with it jsut now, i only have 1 problem with it but its a pretty big one if they don't fixt it then im kind of screwed its probably the most used plugin, it will crash ableton 11 when i stretch it out really big or full size of my screen, to be more specific when i drag it from the bottom right corner and drag to make it bigger it will stutter and make noises trough my apollo twin x and the boom!!! it crashes, i really hope they fixt this.

Alex

Alex: what Ableton version are you on? My auto-update has forced me to use 11.1.6 on my Imac. On my Macbook, I still run 11.1.5 and I haven't experienced it there.

Tx !

Skov

Very strange -- we'll investigate!

Cheers,

Frederik (FabFilter)

Any update in this. Still struggling with FAB-Q3 completely freezing my mac... Thanks

Skov Bowden

Hi Skov,

We have not yet been able to reproduce the issue here in office. Do you have the issue both in Ableton 11/1/5 and 11.1.6?

Ralph Verdult (FabFilter)

Sorry for the delay.

I switched to Ableton 10.1.43 again: worked quite smooth untill today:
Q3 freezed my Imac. The Fabfilter Q3 gui turned from black to red to a complete digitalized kinda broken desktop screen.

Maybe it's time to upgrade from Mojave to something 'newer'.

Skov

I keep having the issue now and then. I just found out that for me if I reload Ableton after it crashes and delete the Pro Q3 plug-in from the track it was on and just add it again, it works again. I'm on Pc btw. I will say one thing I do love about MAC is that I almost never had problems with my DAW or Plug-ins.

iif

No solution this far (imac 2017)
Still on the latest Ableton 10 version.
Yesterday I opened a blank project, added one audio track with a sample looping, fiddled a bit with EQ3 and immediately hanged my mac.

I did a hard reset, started a new blank project and couldn't reproduce the issue. I added loads of frequentie band, sweeped like crazy with all freqbands together and it kept working.

Unbelievable issue. I'm finishing all current projects and after that I'm trying to do a clean install with a higher MacOS and hopefully this fresh install will solve this.

btw: this issue doesn't appear on my MBP ( with identical software/hardware config).

The only thing that crossed my mind, is that I've added some RAM memory many months ago. Could bad RAM influence a plugin's GUI or general GPU performance?

Thanks guys.

skov

For everyone interested:

Ableton 11 ( first version through the last release) is very unstable under MacOS Mojave (10.14.6).

My issue started out upgrading from Ableton 10 to 11.

The fabfilter ProQ3 was unusable using it under Ableton Live.

After troubleshooting for a long time, I finally have upgraded my mac to Big Sur and all problems with Ableton, and especially the ProQ3 are gone now.

I hope this can help other users in the future.

Skv

Skov

I've been using Windows 10 and Ableton 11.3.21 for months without issues. Now I have these freezes and then Ableton crashes as well.

I have my harddrive set to GPT, turned on all kinds of secure boot etc and had some issues with some other plugins in Ableton. I then set Ableton to always start with Administrator rights and all other plugins work fine now.

I tried using Q3 as VST3 and switched back to using VST2 64bit, like I have before, but both show the same issues.

Reproduction scenario:
1. Open a new project.
2. Drag a synth in a midi track
3. Drag Q3 in that track
4. 1st time Q3 opens and the spectrum analyzer shows the wave
5. Close and reopen Q3.
6. Q3 seems to work, able to move the window around, but when playing a sound, no wave in the analyzer part..
7. Trying to close the window makes Ableton freeze and I have to force shut down Ableton

Hardware:
-Asus ROG Maximus XI hero
-Intel i7-9700KF
-Asus NVidia RTX 2060
-RME Fireface UC USB

Software:
-Windows 11 Pro, v10.0.22631 Build 22631
-Ableton v11.3.22
-FabFilter Q3 3.25

Patrick

.. I checked more reproduction scenarios to be sure it was only Pro-Q3, but the same happens with:
Timeless 3
Saturn 2
Pro-L2

I used Operator as a synth, but the same happens with any other (Ableton)synth / soundsource.

Patrick

Hi Patrick,

Are you using the latest driver for your Nvidia video card? If possible please use the studio driver instead of the game ready driver. The studio driver is specialized in handling multiple GUIs.

Ralph (FabFilter)

same here. Mac os 14.5 Sonoma. M2 max
ableton 12 keep crashing with Pro-q 3 as the issue
i though maybe automations inside Pro-q but after eliminating automations, specific project keep on crashing.

*Pro-q 3 lastes version
* Contacted with Live support - they analyzed the crash report and confirmed Pro-q 3 is the cause.

I have tone of them all around the project so deleting them is the last thing i would like to do

Itamar

Recently migrated to Win 11. All Fabfilter products are causing Ableton to hang on Windows 11. Tried in both Ableton 11 and 12. Updated NVidia to studio driver. Tried VST2 and VST3. Uninstall/reinstall. Nothing is working. I use ProQ as part of my default session, on every track. Frustrating.

Andrew Hague

Hi Andrew,

Have you tried disabling graphics acceleration? Please see here:

www.fabfilter.com/support/faq#how-can-i-disable-graphics-acceleration-on-my-computer

Ralph (FabFilter)
Reply to this topic Go to the forum topic list