FabFilter User Forum

Bug Report: blue lines on right side of frequency spectrum

Hi Fabfilter. You may already be aware, but in the latest updates, such as Pro-Q 3.20, I see blue lines over the right side of the frequency analyzer when I scale the UI of the plugin to larger sizes:
imgur.com/a/ykFy8fB

I'm on a fairly old crusty system:
ProTools 11.3.1
iMac OSX 10.13.6
Intel Core i7 processor
16 GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680MX 2048 MB graphics card

This seemed to affect Pro-MB also, maybe others.

Thanks for looking into it and Merry Christmas!

Beaker

Hi Beaker!

I have not been able to reproduce this issue here on my system. However, Pro Tools 11 is not supported on MacOS 10.13. It is only supported on MacOS 10,8, 10.9 and 10.10. Often these system requirements have to do with graphical issues on unsupported OS's, so it is very possible that this is the case here as well. Do you have the option to downgrade your OS op upgrade your Pro Tools version?

Ralph (FabFilter)

Thank you for looking into it. Downgrading OSX is a mess. Unfortunately upgrading ProTools is also a mess and expensive so I will likely never do it. I will just continue using the current system until it dies and then likely switch to a different DAW (years from now). I understand if you can't support this scenario. I will use the slightly older versions of your products to avoid the distracting visual glitch.

Beaker

The latest plug-in versions switched to Metal instead of OpenGL on Mac for graphics acceleration. Ralph wasn't aware of this, but we did see this problem during development on an older MacBook Pro with dual graphics processors and found a workaround. We determined that it is caused by a bug in Apple's Metal drivers for that card. However, as we didn't know which graphics cards were affected, we enabled the workaround only for that specific graphics card. You have a slightly different one and that's why you're seeing the problem with e.g. Pro-Q 3.20.

What is the exact specification of your Mac? Does it have dual graphics cards (e.g. NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680MX and Intel Iris Pro)?

Cheers,

Frederik (FabFilter)

Hi, Fabfilter

I am having the exactly same problem on my iMac.

My environment is:

iMac 27-inch, Late 2013
CPU : 3.5GHz Intel Core i7
Graphics : NVIDIA GeForce GTX 775M 2GB

DAW : Cubase 11.0.41 / Studio One 5.4

Thanks,

karuboy

karuboy

Sorry to forget to mention, I am using OSX Catalina 10.15.7.

karuboy

Thanks @karuboy. So this doesn't seem to be limited to laptops with two graphics cards unfortunately. We'll work on a better solution but for now the only option is to turn off graphics acceleration (www.fabfilter.com/support/faq#how-can-i-disable-graphics-acceleration-on-my-computer) or go back to the previous version of the plugins (www.fabfilter.com/downloads/fftotalbundle_20211116.dmg ).

Cheers,

Frederik (FabFilter)

Hi,

I have the same problem in the last update on a iMac (Late 2013) with Catalina 10.15.17. The graphic card is an NVDIA GeForce GT 755M 1Go.

I can also see blue line in high frequencies in several plugins as Pro-Q3, Pro-R and Pro-C2.

I use Reaper.

Thanks a lot,

Sébastien

Sébastien

I appreciate you guys looking into it more and asking for more detail about the graphic card on my machine. Here's a screenshot of my OSX system details "Graphics/Displays" section:

imgur.com/a/7cjemlZ

Please pardon my ignorance, but does that clarify whether I have a "dual graphics card"?

Beaker

Hi everyone...

I have the same issue -

Spectrumanayser of Q3 and MB - strange blue lines above 6KHz on large and very large plug-in windows - in ProTools..

Mac Pro 5.1 2012 with High Sierra and NVIDIA Geforce GTX 680

works fine with Q3 version 3,11

all the best from germany

Hanz Marathon
MARATHON MUSIC

Hanz Marathon

Hi,

The link above to download previous version of plugins doesn't work; I've got a 404 Page not found.

Thanks!

Sébastien

Thanks for all the info! We thought this problem was limited to dual-card MacBook Pros but it turns out all NVIDIA cards may have this problem. We have an idea for a better workaround and will work on that. In the mean time, you can use the previous versions (I fixed the link above).

Cheers,

Frederik (FabFilter)

Just for your information: same problem here.

iMac (27-inch, Late 2012)
MacOS Catalina 10.15.7
3,4 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 675MX 1 GB

Logic Pro 10.6.3

Besides Pro Q3 and Pro MB, the latest release of Volcano 3 (Full Screen Mode), Pro R (Extra Large and Full Screen Mode) and Saturn 2 seem to be affected as well. Surprisingly no issues with Timeless 3.02 at all.

Best regards

Steve

Steve Midge

A little late to the thread but I am also having this problem in Ableton Live. Here are my specs if they help:

iMac (27-inch, Late 2013)
MacOs Mojave 10.14.6
3.5 GHz Intel Core i7
32GB 1600Mhz DDR3
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 80M 4 GB

Jonathan Crambes

I am having the same problem. I updated yesterday and see those blue line artifacts. I will have to go back to the earlier version of your plugins if this won't be solved! Should not be this way even on older machines.

Model Name: MacBook Pro
Model Identifier: MacBookPro9,1
Processor Name: Quad-Core Intel Core i7
Processor Speed: 2.3 GHz
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 4
L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
L3 Cache: 6 MB
Hyper-Threading Technology: Enabled
Memory: 16 GB

Chipset Model: Intel HD Graphics 4000
Type: GPU
Bus: Built-In
VRAM (Dynamic, Max): 1536 MB
Vendor: Intel
Device ID: 0x0166
Revision ID: 0x0009
Automatic Graphics Switching: Supported
gMux Version: 1.9.23
Metal: Supported, feature set macOS GPUFamily1 v4

Tamas Majoros

Hi,

I just installed the latest plug-ins update and the issue is resolved - at at least on iMac late 2013 on Catalina.

Cheers

Jerome

Jerome

The new updates are working well for me so far and do fix the frequency analyzer blue lines on my old crusty iMac. Thank you!

Beaker
Reply to this topic Go to the forum topic list