FabFilter User Forum

Pro-L FRs + questions

Hey there,

first of all: thanks for the holiday discount; going to buy some more plugins soon! One will be Pro-L, which really seems to be extremely nice.

First the questions:
1. Just curious: Is Pro-L working in multiband under the hood?
2. Comapred to Youlean Loudness Meter Pro 2 sometimes the INT LUFS and True Peaks were different. Can somebody explain this to me? The variations were not that big, luckily!, but there were some and I am a bit confused which meterings I could "trust" in the end. :D

Some feature ideas:

a)
I really like Youlean Loudness Meter Pro 2 for quick and solid readouts of the loudness. It has a feature were it can "Clear all measurements automatically", which happens on DAW stop+play. I use it to very quickly check the INT LUFS for a specific passage in the track, without the need to reset the vaues myself. Such a thing could be useful in Pro-L as well, in my opinion.

b)
Pro-L can show the INT LUFS under the meter. Maybe there could be some kind of technic that the user can click on this value so that the gain slider gets set automatically for the actual value? I consider this feature not difficult to embed, since it just had to "invert" the value there and apply it on the gain. But maybe it's more difficult in the end? Not sure; just wanted to post this idea here. (=

Thanks for any replies! Have a great day, people.

All the best,
Manu

Manuel Senfft

Hi Manuel,

Pro-L 2 is a single band limiter all the way. There is no secret under the hood limiting taking place.

True peak metering is not an exact science. It is not yet completely standardised. Therefore the results may slightly differ when different types of meters are used. These differences can depend on the amount of oversampling and the type of filters being used. So it's very possible that you get slightly different readings between different processors. The differences should not run into more than 1 or 2 dB, but differences of 0.5dB or less are possible.

Ralph (FabFilter)

Hi Ralph,

thanks for the answers. Good to know! And yes: IIRC the differences so far were not more than 1 dB. Mostly around 0.5 dB indeed. Thanks again for the answers. (=

Manuel Senfft
Reply to this topic Go to the forum topic list