FabFilter User Forum

My feedback on your pricing

I thought I'd share my feedback regarding your pricing. You are, of course, free to price your products as you wish, but 149 EUR for a gate plugin? Compare that to the price of all major DAWs, which include not only gate, compression, EQ, filters, etc., (so all the functions of all your plugins) but also much, much, much more functionality.
Their basic editions cost half of what your single gate plugin costs. Their Pro versions cost only about twice as much your gate plugin.
If your gate, compressors,etc. were as outstanding as your Pro-Q, then I could view the prices as adequate, perhaps. But 150 EUR for a gate plugin is simply outrageous, in my opinion.

David

Also, the price should always reflect the time required to develop something (the amount of work done). I bet a major DAW took at least 100 times more time to develop than your gate plugin. But they are still priced equally.

David

Just my 2ct, if people wouldn't be willing to spend this money, the price would already be gone low. There's obviously demand. On top of that there's the customer loyalty discount which makes them very affordable.

Your argument can be applied to every plugin on the market and therefore doesn't really hold.

We've bought the plugins for our studio early on and use the gate, the compressor, the eq all the time. Bugs in these 10+ years: 1. Support: super fast and helpful. That's what you pay for too - and having the comparison to bugs & support for plugins from other companies, I can definitely say this is money being well spent.
Especially when keeping in mind this will ensure further development and updates.

A bit off topic but I'm also happy FabFilter and for example uhe don't go the waves, meldaproduction or plugin alliance way of constantly devaluing their own products by having discounts all the time.

Mirko

following your own logic, every plugin should be free or cost no more than 1$ or 5$!? because no plugin is anywhere close to the development time of a daw. but that's not how to keep a complany alive and working.

having worked with stock plugins in cubase and pro tools for long time i really welcomed the fabfilter ones. the gate or compressor plugins are as equally useful as the eq imo, at least in genres (acoustic and rock) i need to mix :-D

Markus

And, I forgot to add that all the DAWs of course frequently have sales with -50% discounts.

David

Lol
Yeah sales culture in audio is great - everything feels like walmart. What’s not to love

Ploki
Reply to this topic Go to the forum topic list