FabFilter User Forum

Sample & Hold

I could really use a plug in, for MIDI or Audio, that would do Sample & Hold.

Any chance of this happening?

Richard

Timeless has a freeze function, it's not modulatable, though. If it was made modulatable, you could get Sample & Hold using step in an LFO,

Any chance of this happening?

Richard

Hi Richard,

The freeze function in Timeless 3 can be modulated!

Cheers,

Ralph (FabFilter)

Ok, thanx Ralph, was trying it before, but should have used a 2 stage square LFO.

It kind of works but lets through some dry signal on the "off" cycle. An interesting effect and can be developed more with the other features.

A genuine S&H unit would be great, though, and no one is making these. FF implement stuff well and it could be good if an S&H with the FF modulation model was to fill this gap?

Also, about Timeless 3, the LFOs don't have the presets and save any more, it is not a big problem, but this was a useful feature.

Richard

After messing with it some more;- if the "off" step on a 2 stage square LFO is almost at the on setting, it comes close, it is still not right, makes some interesting effects, anyways.

Maybe the Freeze could be altered to make real S&H possible? Or, alternatively add a A/D converter with modifiable variable sample length. Timeless 4...?

Richard

Hi Richard,

XLFO's can still save a preset of their setting. Just press the little downward arrow to the right of the modulators name and you can save the current setting as a preset.

Cheers,

Ralph (FabFilter)

Ok, thanx!

Richard

I can't help but wonder what you mean with S&H. Usually this means holding a signal for a certain time and then holding another one value. The resulting value is almost always a control signal - not something you want as audio.
I get the feeling you want to freeze audio to get glitchy effects? You would need a spectral tool for that. Unfiltered Audio SpecOps will do it.

Bram
Reply to this topic Go to the forum topic list