FabFilter User Forum

FR (Pro-Q): Spline EQ Curve Type

Hi,

It could be nice if we could have a Spline EQ curve type in Fab Filter Pro Q,
Spline EQ type doesn't add the effect of each points together which can allow very precise and controlled results.

Here for example with Pro Q, with point placed at regular intervals (trying to mimic a band EQ)
i.imgur.com/zisGSbH.png

As you can see, it produces a lot of dips and holes (no matter the Q size of this bell). This doesn't happen with graphical bands EQ, but also not with spline EQ, like in Voxengo Curve EQ or Nugen Seq-S.

Just an idea, I'm don't know how this can be integrated with existing filter, but it seems like it would be possible. Spline EQ with the power of Pro-Q and access to the other points as well can be quite interesting.

Cheers !

X-Raym

Hey. But isn't that just a matter of the Q factor or how steep the bands are? With a Q of around 3 and a steepness of 96 I can get close to a flat line. Doesn't sound good though :-D

imgur.com/a/BSFCpT7

But thinking it through, aren't graphical EQs parallel bandpass filters? Maybe that's something that would help then, having the option of parallel filtering.

Phil

@Phil
Hi !

Just tried 96db slope and Q=3 approx but it can still have peaks and resonance which will not appears in a band EQ:

i.imgur.com/gyghBua.png

In the end, spline EQ offer even more possibility than these band type of EQ, allowing complex shapes and ultra steep curve without having to care about a Q factor. But it is mostly the fact that they are not influence points but passing points which make them interesting :)

X-Raym
Reply to this topic Go to the forum topic list