FabFilter User Forum

Pro-L2 adds undesired DC offset to output

FabFilter,

I noticed that the Pro-L2 adds some DC offset of its own with some limiter styles. (Note: I did my due diligence, confirming that the DC offset was not coming from the tone generator itself, the DAW itself, etc.)

As an example with analyzing the styles I use most, Modern and Aggressive, I see a significant bump at 0Hz.

The DC offset control setting has no effect, as this DC offset is being added by the Pro-L2 itself.

When I add another Pro-L2 instance after the first, and configure the second instance to use the Safe style, unity gain, and DC offset on, it removes the DC offset added by the first Pro-L2. But I should not have to do that.

Can this be fixed in the next release, please?

Thanks,
Fred

The link is a screenshot of the analyzers:

substrate.com/images/fabfilter_prol2_dcoffset.png

Inputs are 1kHz sine waves at -1dBFS.

The left analyzer shows the output of a Pro-L2 using the Modern style; the right shows a Pro-L2 using Aggressive. Neither is ideal, but note how much more DC offset is generated by Aggressive.

I annotated the screenshot with some arrows pointing to the DC offset bump in the plots.

Uncle Freddie

Thanks for the detailed report! We'll investigate what's going on.

Cheers,

Frederik (FabFilter)

We can confirm the slight DC offset and will fix it in the next Pro-L update. Thanks again for the report.

Cheers,

Frederik (FabFilter)

Perfect! Thank you very much.

Fred

Uncle Freddie
Reply to this topic Go to the forum topic list