FabFilter User Forum

EQ-Match

Hi, I´m running Fab Filter Pro on Nunendo 10 and I want to use EQ-Match on dialogue-edits for films. It seems, that I can save a spectrum of a clip, to load that spectrum on antother clip to match them. But when I open Fab Filter on that other clip, that I want to change, the field "load spectrum" stays grey, i.e. unavailable. What´s wrong there? Please help.

Stephan

Hi Stephan,

The Match EQ function of Pro-Q works slightly different when using clip processing or Direct Offline Processing in Nuendo or Cubase. As you say, you cannot select another clip to record the reference signal in the same offline processing window. Here's a workaround.

First, on the clip that you would like to use as a reference, use Pro-Q 3 with Direct Offline Processing. Go to the Match EQ settings and record the input. Now click on the Reference button, and choose "Save input as reference spectrum".

On the clip that you would like to apply the Match EQ to, also open an instance of Pro-Q 3 and head to the Match EQ settings. Under the reference menu, select the file you just saved on the other clip. Now record the input of this clip. Now you should be able to apply the match processing.

Unfortunately this is not as easy as in for instance Pro Tools, where you can simply play your source and reference audio in the same plug-in when using AudioSuite plug-ins.

An alternative would be to set up Pro-Q 3 on the channel instead of on the clip, and route a side-chain signal from your reference channel to Pro-Q 3. Now you should be able to record the side-chain input as your reference and get a matched EQ on your channel EQ.

I hope this helps.

Cheers,

Ralph (FabFilter)

Hi Ralph,
as I wrote "But when I open Fab Filter on that other clip, that I want to change, the field "load spectrum" stays grey, i.e. unavailable", your workaround isn´t possible."On the clip that you would like to apply the Match EQ to, also open an instance of Pro-Q 3 and head to the Match EQ settings. Under the reference menu, select the file you just saved on the other clip". This is exactly what I want to do, but in the reference-menu, the option to select the previously saved reference file is grey and says "no saved reference spectrums". To me, this seems to be a bug, because there should open a dialogue window, where I can select a reference file.

Stephan

Hi Stephan,

What OS are you working on? It could be a permissions issue. Could you check if you have read/write permission for the following folder:

User/Library/Application Support/FabFilter/Pro-Q 3/Component presets/Spectrum

Cheers,

Ralph (FabFilter)

That helped! I´m running Windows 10 and I found that folder under user/me/AppData/FabFilter/Pro-Q 3/Component presets/Spectrum, so I saved a spectrum file there. You should write that into the manual, that this is the place to store the spectrum file when prompted, because you can choose a location when saving, but not, when loading. Thanks, Ralph.

Stephan

sorry, the path is user/me/AppData\Roaming\FabFilter\Pro-Q 3\Component Presets\Spectrum

Stephan
Reply to this topic Go to the forum topic list