FabFilter User Forum

Saturn 2 Feature Request: Polarity Options for Modulation Mapping

Hello All,

Saturn 2 has honestly been a pretty good experience for myself, I'm a pretty picky person when it comes to saturation and distortion effects and I think it actually stands up pretty well at this point.

Moreover, there's some interesting modulation options that I want to try building out further, but I'm having issues to make the modulation properly key-track.

This kind of thing is typically a bit tough to do with most synthesizers out there, but I was surprised to see I couldn't choose a Unipolar vs. Bipolar modulation option. I'd love to see this for both the XLFO and the KB Track options.

With this ability, I would be able to set the lfo rate at a starting note (let's say 43.65hz, which is a low F), then play a note one or two octaves up, and tune the keytrack amount slider to make the modulation be 'in-tune' with the note that is being played again.

With the modulation only being a bipolar slider, and since i have no idea what hz value is actually being set for the max or minimums, it makes it very, very hard to tune this concept.

This may seem like a pretty abstract use of the function, but I assure you this is the future of modern sound design, and high-frequency tuning of LFOs on modulation will be the source for the next stage of sound design.

Thank you for your time, hope you are able to implement some of these changes! I'm sure at least a handful of people have mentioned not having a uni vs. bipolar option.

John

I'm replying to this post as I ended up here myself searching for how to change the polarity of the XLFO.

The following is not very clear from the manual, IMHO:

Let's say you add a default XLFO, which has the graph of a sine wave split into section 1 and section 2.

Note that it also shows values [1 to 0 to -1] on the left- this represents the positive and negative poles of the movement.

If you only want the movement to be unipolar from e.g your selected cutoff point up and back to the same spot, you need to move the '2' marker to the middle of the graph. Click on '2' and a 'Value' knob will appear - set this to Zero. In this way the XLFO will not dip the Cutoff below your selected value.

To have only movement BELOW the point of origin, you would do the same to the '1' marker, moving it to Value = 0

Hope this helps others in the same spot!

Andy
Reply to this topic Go to the forum topic list