FabFilter User Forum

Suggestion for improving the CPU performance

Hi FabFilter team,

I'd like to suggest an option to set oversampling in FabFilter plugins independently for the realtime work and for rendering.

Something like TDR Limiter №6 has, "use the best quality for rendering" option.

It has become especially important with Saturn2 release, where Superb quality is pretty hungry on my CPU. AND I WANT THAT NICE ANTI-ALIASING BADLY :D

I understand that there'll be a slight difference in what you hear in the project vs what you hear in rendered file.

I use Cubase 10 Pro and unfortunatelly, it doesn't have the best VST performance, so my workflow is kinda choppy when mix is getting close to the end - I have to gradually turn off oversampling in all instances of Saturn, Pro-C2, Pro-L2 and Pro-DS to be able to hear mix in realtime without choking.

Then, when I'm finished with the mix, I go through all the instances and set oversampling to the maximum quality, right before rendering the mix.

"Use max quality for rendering" option would be a huge usability/time saver for me and I bet for a lot of people.

Please, consider adding this to your awesome set of plugins.

Thanks,
Serhii

P.S. For all the fellow forumers: please note that I do not intend to discuss the oversampling and it's effect on audio quality, but to do a feature suggestion/request.

Serhii

Hi Serhii,

Interesting request. We do offer a wide variety of oversampling for a number of our plug-ins. However, we still believe its not always necessary to use maximum oversampling for a better sound. The point is... its not necessarily better in every scenario. If its not doing anything there's no reason to apply it. In fact, due to increased intermodulation it might actually be worse! I highly recommend you watch our recently released video that refers to this topic;

www.youtube.com/watch?v=-jCwIsT0X8M

Maarten (Fabfilter)

Hi Maarten,
Thank you for your response, appreciate it.

I saw Dan's video on this topic, and I don't think it doesn't contradict my needs in any way.

I like to abuse saturation, to limit with near-clipping settings and to do some fast compression. Love the crunch, you know :)

And all of those usage scenarios tend to introduce a bunch for harmonics, especially on signals rich with high frequencies. Considering this, oversampling does help in the overall picture. And combining high oversampling with other CPU-heavy plugins like Gullfoss, MJUC with HQ settings and others, it becames taxing on my laptop's silicon.

That's why I though that separate settings for the realtime/rendering would be a nice to the otherwise near-perfect experience with your plugins.

TDR Kotelnikov & Limiter6 have those, Oeksound's Spiff/Soothe as well, so there seems to be such a demand on the market.

Thanks,
Sergey!

Sergey
Reply to this topic Go to the forum topic list