FabFilter User Forum

Pro C2 Exernal Sidechain Click

Hi,

I found that Pro C2 makes a click sound whenever I use it for external sidechain. I can bypass this problem only if I raise the attack a little bit or if I turn the lookahead on.

The stock compressor of Ableton Live 10 has the same problem, but if I'm using the Live 8 compressor (even in Live 10) it doesn't occur anymore.

I wonder which is the cause for this, maybe it can be a Live fault though.

Thank you,

Nevel

Nevel

Hi Nevel,

Using really fast attach times and no lookahead make the compressor react really fast, with some material can create some clicks. If this is the case we suggest trying a slightly slower release. Changing it from 0.005 to 0.01 milliseconds can already do wonders, with barely altering your compression. Switching on lookahead can also help, so the compressor is not as surprised by the signal coming in.

As for the Live 8 compressors, I've read people talking about this on fora. I don't know why it has changed. Perhaps the fastest attack time of the new Live 10 compressor is slightly faster than the fastest setting on the Live 8 compressor, but if you'd like to be sure you'd have to check with the dev's from Ableton.

Cheers,

Ralph (FabFilter)

In regard to the Live compressor, they have changed it from from version 8 to version 9, so that’s why they’re different. Some enhancements to the appearance and the algorithm if I recall correctly.

When you load an old project (from Live 8) in Live 10, it will load the old compressor. There’s an upgrade button in the menu bar.

Otherwise the explanation is the same as Ralph gave, very short attacks or releases can give clicks. And it seems the fastest settings on Live’s 8 compressor were simply slower than the times in Live 9 and 10.

Bram

Thank you Ralph and Bram for the help!
I will use Pro C2 with different attack and release since it gives me more control than the Live stock compressor ;)

Nevel

Pro C2

I am trying to use external sidechain in Reason Studios. The kick and bass are not visible in the expert mode screen. Please share if external sidechain is possible in Reason's DAW and if so how.

Malik

Hi Malik,

It's certainly possible to use external side-chain in Reason! If you hit the Tab key, this should show the back of Reasons hardware. When you check the back of the VST module using the plug-in, click the CV programmer button to show the extra io. You will see Optional Audio In, with a led burning above 3 and 4. These are your side-chain inputs.

Cheers,

Ralph (FabFilter)

Ralph, Thanks for the replying. I hope I am understanding correctly the steps necessary to get my kick and bass to respond correctly. My goal is for the kick to duck when the bass hits. And when I looked back in the sidechain screen I'm not able to see the spectrum for the kick and bass. My routing in Reason Studio is probably not set up correctly.

Malik

Hi Malik,

It's hard to guide you without seeing the project, so if you can email me a small version of your project with the kick and bass channels I can have a look how it should be routed. Best to mail it to info@fabfilter.com.

Cheers,

Ralph (FabFilter)

Ralph,

I figured out how to route my kick and bass in Reason Studios using external sidechain. I clicked tab and flipped the rack. After pulling the cords with the led 3 and 4 I inserted them from Pro C2 attached to the bass and inserted them in the FX insert in the kick channel. When I opened Pro C2 in the bass using external the kick drum showed up in the side chain spectrum in expert mode. I was not sure how to get the bass to duck initial but I moved the side chain level to the right until kick became more dominate and the bass appeared to reduce in volume although it is getting out of the way of the kick cutting through the mix.

Malik

hey man, can u make a video showing how cause I can't figure it out its driving me crazy

b
Reply to this topic Go to the forum topic list