FabFilter User Forum

Q3 Dynamic EQ (postive) in response to a low threshold?

Hi,
I have a feeling I'm missing something really obvious but I simply can't get this to work.
If I have a Bell curve and I want it to dynamically boost in response to a low threshold, is that possible?
The problem seems to be that the threshold only seems to work one way: it triggers when the threshold is reached.
So, it's easy to have a dynamic band that subtracts when I hit a specified threshold (let's say -12dB).
It's also easy to tave a dynamic band that adds when I hit the specified threshold of -12dB.
But want I want is to have a dynamic band that adds when I *fall below* a certain threshold. So, If the signal falls below -12dB, in this example, I would have add boost dynamically.
The problem with the dynamic EQ that adds boost that I find is that it seems to only work in the one direction and it's at the wrong time...the signal reaches the -12dB threshold and then adds even more. Whereas, I want to stay off unless it falls below the threshold and then add.
What am I missing? Thanks, Chris

Chris

Hi Chris,

You could first set your boost how you would want it when the level is under the threshold. Afterwards you can use the the dynamic part to make a cut when it reaches above the threshold. Would this work in your situation?

Cheers,

Ralph (FabFilter)

Hi Ralph,
I really appreciate the quick response! That's a great workaround suggestion, thanks. I will try that. Cheers,
Chris

Chris

Hi,
I want the same functionality. If the level is below a certain threshold or DB, then I want to boost it.

I am confused by the answer:
"You could first set your boost how you would want it when the level is under the threshold. Afterwards you can use the the dynamic part to make a cut when it reaches above the threshold. Would this work in your situation? "

How do set the BOOST? is that just adding a node in the EQ and moving up high? But how can that exact same node "BOOST" the selected frequency and then also dynamically lower it if it goes above that? Don't you need TWO nodes?

H E L P? - I wish somebody could make a tutorial video

Alexander Kerezy
Reply to this topic Go to the forum topic list