FabFilter User Forum

Questions about Pro Q3 and Pro C2

Hey all, I just had a couple questions that have been on my mind and basically stopping from buying a couple new toys from FabFilter.

The first is something thats been kinda bugging me, on the video introduction to Pro Q3 I hear the word "compression" being used when talking about active EQ bands. Is this correct? Is compression actually taking place or is it simply filtering the frequencies? I know they are both handling loudness, but is Pro Q3 simply turning down the gain knob or is it compressing the dynamics of the signal. The video confused me a bit, sorry haha.

Next question I have is are the active EQ bands phase coherent? Would any active bands moving around cause phase issues if used on a parallel bus?

Last question is if I buy Pro C2 this holiday season, Im not going to be hit with a Pro C3 and an upgrade fee any time soon right? I just dont want to buy something and then be out of date soon after. I know Pro C2 has been out for a little while.

Tristan Mendoza

Hey :)

1) ProQ3 has now the option to do dynamic equing, means very basic control over dynamics in active bands. So yes, compression can be enabled.

2) ProQ has some settings for phase - zero latency, natural, linear. You want to use it in linear phase mode then.

3) I don't think a ProC3 will come up soon. But even if a) they usually have a grace period of some months and b) you'd get a very good upgrade discount.

Mirko

So then what is the difference between Pro Q3 and Pro MB?

Tristan Mendoza

ProQ3 still is focused on equalizing, the dynamics are an additional thing. It has all those different filter types that can be dynamic, unlike ProMB where it's always the typical lp/hp band approach. It can create way more narrow bell curves, ideal to get rid of resonances or harmonics, unlike ProMB which can only go as narrow as 1 octave or so. ProMB offers way more control over the dynamics (incl. attack and release settings). Just to name a few things. ProQ3 does not come close to replace ProMB and ProMB will never do the things ProQ3 can.

Mirko
Reply to this topic Go to the forum topic list