FabFilter User Forum

Q3 crazy midi response

Hi, trying out Q3 with midi controller I can't get the Q3 to respond consequently.

First phenomenon discovered: Sending "modulation wheel" from my DX7 the frequency "knob" responds only to about value 0-115. Ok, thats odd but would be fine if the response was the same on the way down again, but it isn't, the Q3 has then reset in a different position, so it's impossible to really control the thing.

Ok, so if I stay within reasonable values it would work anyway I think, and record it into Logic. But even with care taken not to go to high on the values, the response from Q3 is different every time, it's just all over the place. Let's say I loop a section with continous controller values 0-60, Q3 starts from a different position every time, it simply doesn't respond to absolute controller values. What's the point of this?

I will try other controllers but viewing this in Logic it just seems impossible to get Q3 to respond correct. I tried to "reset" it with different methods, record a value 0 every time and start from there, disconnect the DX7, but nothing seems to give Q3 an absolute position.

Laban

Seems like this issue was solved with a different midi controller, although everything was recorded and played from Logic, with "perfect" controller values.

Laban

Hi Laban,

Be aware that there are two different MIDI Learn modes in Pro-Q 3. Like in Pro-Q 1 and 2, you can associate MIDI controller messages to specific band parameters, e.g. controller 99 goes to Band 1 Frequency. But in Pro-Q 3, you can also associate a controller with a parameter in the active band, and this is the default MIDI Learn mode. This lets you control the interface from a MIDI controller, since you can also associate buttons on your controller with the previous/next band controls. And there is more: in this mode, the MIDI controller knobs work with relative changes (instead of absolute changes), and they feature automatic slow-down to make precise changes. This might explain what you were seeing in Logic.

More information here:
www.fabfilter.com/help/pro-q/using/midilearn

Cheers,

Frederik (FabFilter)
Reply to this topic Go to the forum topic list