FabFilter User Forum

WaveLab Pro - processing with Pro-Q 2 & 3 adds silence to the end of a file

I have been noticing Pro-Q 2 and 3 will add silence to the end of a file post-processing in WaveLab Pro 9.5 (I am on 9.5.50).

As an exercise, I performed this on a 100ms audio file, and the result was a 271ms audio file (ie. 171ms of silence was added by Pro-Q).

This is not something that I have experienced with other plugins.

James Langford

Hi James,

Pro-Q 2 and 3 report a "tail size" of 8192 samples: this is to accommodate the possible length of a filter response. This explains the 171 ms increase in file length.

If we wouldn't do this, the host could cut off the response of the plug-in just after the incoming audio which could result in an audible click depending on the type of filtering that is performed.

I hope this explains things for you!

Cheers,

Frederik (FabFilter)

Hi Frederik,

Yes, this makes sense. After posting, I was wondering whether it might be something like this.

Thanks for the explanation!

James Langford

I'm using ProQ 3 hosted by Sound Forge 15. Pro Q 3 is adding 340 ms of silence to each filtered file. This is a problem as many of these are being concatenated at run-time and ducking is dependent on file length.
Could you trim back to original length or does the plug-in not have that information?

I really like the result that I am getting with ProQ 3 (VST3 64 bit) but I don't want to have to clean up 800 files and currently the trim function isn't supported by the batch converter of SF15.

David Thiel
Reply to this topic Go to the forum topic list