FabFilter User Forum

Why do the pan controls also affect the filter cutoff?

Hello there!

At first let me say I am really impressed with Volcano, the filters pack a lot of unique character and the results I get with it are very musical.

I have demo version 1.20 Audio Unit on Mac OS 10.4.8 (Intel).

I noticed that the pan controls also affect the filter cutoff frequency. For example, pan both filters to center and set both cutoffs to the middle. Then pan them left and right - the cutoff changes instantly. This also applies to when the LFOs control pan, the cutoff is also modulated.

Is this the way it should work? If so, why does the filter react to the pan parameter? It makes it a little hard to work because you have some cool sound you like, you start playing with the pans and it all changes completely.

Thanks,

Artemiy.

Artemiy

Hi Artemy!

What you describe is the normal behaviour of Volcano's Pan knobs. It is not a normal panning function. Those pan knobs actually control the cut-off frequency per channel. So turning a panning knob to the left, means that the left channels cut-off frequency will be lower than the right channels cut-off frequency. You can read more about this in the online help file.

www.fabfilter.com/help/volcano

Cheers!

Floris (FabFilter)

Thank you for the reply, Floris!

Oh, now I got this. This explains how I managed to get some fabulous stereo phaser effects out of it in no time. BTW, "Fab" in FabFilter is for fabulous right? ;-)

Artemiy.

Artemiy
Reply to this topic Go to the forum topic list