FabFilter User Forum

Pro-R high CPU usage

Hello!

It's my 4th time demoing it so far and I still can't justify buying it. The price is nice with the sale right now, but is sooo CPU hungry!
Why exactly, I don't know...

My issue is not that is hungry on my (admitted old) machine. But why it uses so many CPU cycles compared to other reverbs, or even with other FF plugins?

I've attached an image showing what I mean:
imgur.com/TdZOLES

e@rs

The amount of CPU used by Pro-R depends a lot on the type of preset -- how many filters it uses and also the reverb length. Also it's likely we are using a more complex (and more natural sounding) algorithm than some other reverbs that use less CPU.

Cheers,

Frederik (FabFilter)

It's using about 2% here for 5 sec of reverberation length. That's less than the ArtsAcoustic but with a fairly more depth 3d like sound and the same CPU as the Lexicon ones. Maybe it's just time to upgrade your system :-D

Mirko

Mirko, what CPU and GPU are you using?

e@rs

I'm now 2 days behind on this project because that's how much troubleshooting I went through before figuring out what crippled our 16-core/64GB RAM PC.
I mixed the stereo version of the song with a couple of crackles here and there, but infrequent enough that I was able to mix and finally render in real-time without issue.

Then, I copied the project > Set it up for Atmos (100 total channels out to the RMU) > Move the 3 instances (drums, vocals, other instruments) of Pro-R2 to 7.1.2 FX channels > Press play.... sounded almost like white noise with all the crackles.

Messed around in BIOS/EUFI, tried different buffers (even though Atmos requires 1024 buffer), removed most of the plugins, cut the channel count as much as possible... Nothing worked.

Then, I removed 1 instance of Pro-R2... Nope, still screwed up. Remove a second, now down to just 1 instance... Immediately works.

I was using Large > Vocal Hall, Large > Concert Hall Vienna, and Medium > Drum Plate.

Now it works with ProR2 (7.1.2) Vocal Hall, Waves H-Reverb 5.1 (5.1) 480L Thin Plate, and Steinberg REVerence convolution reverb Austrian Concert Hall (5.1)

Looks like I'm gonna have to wait until we get the Threadripper PC for the Atmos mastering room before I can really get the money's worth out of Pro-R2

Specs:
- CPU: AMD Ryzen9 5950X
- MoBo: ASUS ProArt X570 Creator
- RAM: 64GB (2x32GB) Kingston Beast Fury RGB 3600MHZ DDR4 CL18
- GPU: Red Dragon 6800
- SSD: 3 1TB Samsung 980 NVMe in M2 slots
- Soundcard: Marian ClaraE 512x512-channel Dante AVoIP PCIe
- CPU Cooler: MSi MPG CoreLiquid K360
- PSU: ASUS RoG Thore 1200W Platinum
- DAW: Nuendo13

TiKkO

I remembered that it has its own Freeze button. That seemed pointless when I was using it on the stereo mix, but now I realize how necessary it is.
Unfortunately, I already abandoned 2 of the instances of it, invested hours into re-editing to cut CPU usage, and a few more hours of mixing.

I suppose I could jump back to the original session, but the new one is probably closer to where it needs to be now

TiKkO Rome

Hi Tikko,

Pro-R 2 on a atmos track like 7.1.4 can indeed be quite heavy on CPU. A 12 channel surround reverb is not just 12 channels of reverb processing, but a lot of interplay between these 12 algorithms because of the parameter tilt options. I can run 1 or 2 on my M1 ultra, but that's about it. We really tried to optimize the CPU usage for Pro-R 2, but the processing described above simply is quite heavy.

Ralph (FabFilter)
Reply to this topic Go to the forum topic list