FabFilter User Forum

External Sidechain Trigger - why not "Other Q3 Instance Trigger"??

Guys, Thank You for adding this wonderful dynamic sidechain mode.

but WHYYYY would you stop at External Sidechain trigger, when all plugin instances are already talking to each other (ie, you can show the spectrum of any other instance). It would be so much more convenient if you could trigger based on other instances of Pro Q 3. No messy routing, just choose the Q3 instance as your 'sidechain trigger', done. The ultimate Izotope killer.

Ferro

I think this is due to not knowing where in the chain plugins may be inserted (like getting triggered by an instance that comes after) and it would introduce latency to compensate for the timing. The FFT spectrum isn't time critical, it's only an overview.

Besides that I think the latest update is already a big step from FF towards their customers and I'd not exploit or disrespect their design decisions further more. Just be satisfied you got something that wasn't planned.

If they include this, then someone else will ask for automatic mask compensation since they already can communicate. And another one will ask for mixing the whole song with AI :-D

Mirko

Not the craziest thought haha.

Ferro

Great idea but you also have to consider that this beacon bes very complicated when trying to make it work between multiple DAW's on completely different platforms. I'm not saying it can't be done but I think that it should be assumed that just because the spectrum is being displayed all other info can be freely exchanged. This is a concept that nearly every developer is working on in one form or another. Yet we have very few fully functional glitch free examples due to the massive differences between DAW's. I'm hoping these things become more and more common and FabFilter may already be working on it but waves has already said that their cla mixhub took years to get right and even now it is very limited and has many bugs to be sorted out. From what I know FabFilter will avoid something entirely before they release a glitchy inconsistent plugin. Just my opinion of course but here to hoping they can make it happen eventually.

Notheorem729
Reply to this topic Go to the forum topic list