FabFilter User Forum

Pro-L2 with TP enabled still generates peaks above ceiling

Hi,

I have entered a ceiling of -0.5db and enabled TP.

Bu still when checking the loudness of the resulting file the file generates true peaks above -0.5db. I though TP setting should adress this?

Please advice,

/K

Kenneth

If you've enabled the small 'TP' button, you've simply enabled True Peak Metering. I think you're looking to enable True Peak Limiting, for which an option is available in the bottom bar! Does that help?

Floris (FabFilter)

That's exactly what I have set on my pro l2 but still some projects exceed the ceiling. For instance; true peak limiting is enabled and my ceiling is -1db, but when analysing the exported file it's at -0.9db. Why is that?

Joel Bylund

Hi Joel,

Which tool do you use to analyze the exported file? Detecting true peaks involves reconstructing the analog signal underlying the digital samples and finding the peaks in the analog signal. This is done by oversampling the signal and the peaks that are found depend slightly on the oversampling factor and the filter used by the oversampling algorithm. So it's to be expected that different tools will find slightly different values. That's why you typically pick a ceiling of -1 dB, so there's a little bit of headroom.

Cheers,

Frederik (FabFilter)
Reply to this topic Go to the forum topic list