FabFilter User Forum

Pro L2 "Style" question

Hi - I'm just trying to clarify my understanding of the Pro-L2, and the interaction between the "dynamics" section (the section affected by the attack and release parameters) and the hard limiter:

From what I can tell, the "Styles" control affects the timing/compression characteristics of the "dynamics" section, and is clearly audible; when Attack is all the way up (at 10sec) you are essentially never using the "dynamics" section of the ProL2 and the only thing affecting signal is the hard limiter which will only be controlled by the Lookahead, channel linking, and TP/Oversample parameters. In other words, the "Styles" don't do anything to the brickwall limiter. Is this correct, or do the "Styles" affect the brickwall limiter algorithm too, and if so, how?

Thanks!
rich

Rich Breen

Hi Rich,

Choosing a style affects both the lookahead, attack and release characteristics of the limiting algorithm.

Even if you turn up the attack to the maximum, for some styles an attack phase may still have effect (e.g. the Safe style). In short: styles won't all sound the same if you set Attack to its max, and the attack/release phase may still be used/heard.

In addition, also the Lookahead phase can sound different for different styles!

Floris (FabFilter)

That's great - thanks Floris!

It would be really nice if there were more detailed technical information available about this kind of stuff in the user guide, perhaps a block diagram and more detail about what exactly is changing in the various styles.

In any case, thanks much for that info. Clears up a few things, but raises a whole other set of questions.... ;-)

best,
rich

Rich Breen
Reply to this topic Go to the forum topic list