FabFilter User Forum

No good tom gate exists (?)

I've been looking low and high for a good gate for toms that need a lot of click, but without cymbal bleed. I've tried stuff like Drumatom which softens the drum sounds, and many others - including making my own combinations of filter envelopes and normal gates and what not, but nothing really works well and is not a total pain to use.

So here's a vote for maybe a "Tom"-type algorithm for Pro-G, which would work like this:

The whole gate opens at the attack of the drum, but the top frequencies close very quickly after 1-5ms or something, while lower frequencies are allowed to ring much longer.

This would make the Pro-G a no-brainer for me, now that I'm well on my way to switch to Fabfilter for all my bread'n butter plugs.

Frederik Rosenkjær

Hi Frederik,

You could make this with Pro-MB by separating the spectrum into two bands, one with a fast release and the other one with a slow release or even some hold.

It's not straightforward to build it into Pro-G though because it would need to have some kind of multi-band behavior.

Cheers,

Frederik (FabFilter)

Thanks for your reply, but as far as I can tell, there's no way of making the two bands open/trigger simultaneously(?)

I've tried building it in many different ways, but the problem with multi-band stuff is the highs will be hard to get to not trigger all over the place with cymbals - ie. the exact stuff you want to get rid of...

Hm...maybe a regular gate in front of the whole thing to trigger both bands...but then, I'll still need some hysteresis to keep the threshold of the high band low enough to open reliably and close fast each time, I think.

Frederik Rosenkjær

How about a settable lowpass filter instead of multiple bands. Gate opens and also opens the filter wich closes together with the gate.

Works well by automating a band in proQ but built in proG... would be great.

Will try and use a dynamic eq (lowpass filter) instead of automation.

Magnus

In Pro-MB, you have full control over how the bands are triggered. By default they're triggered by their own frequency area, but if you enable the Expert panel in the band controls, you can set the band to "Free". Now you can set both bands to the same frequency area so they will be triggered in the same way.
www.fabfilter.com/help/pro-mb/using/expertbandcontrols

Cheers,

Frederik (FabFilter)

Have you tried Unfiltered Audio G8?

I'll Second That Emotion

I gave up trying to gate toms along time ago. It's usually unpredictable and messy. Now I just manually cut up the audio and apply fades accordingly. Guaranteed perfect results every time.

Jeff Thall

What's Happening i'm new to this, I stumbled upon this I have discovered It positively helpful and it has aided me out loads. I hope to contribute &amp help other users like its helped me. Good job. bfkdegeegfcf

oiertipy
Reply to this topic Go to the forum topic list