FabFilter User Forum

Apply saturation above a threshold point

Hi guys,

I just bought the complete FF FX bundle, and it's sound so impressive. Pure genius..
I wonder if some one could help me out with this issue :

I need to create saturation above a threshold point.
Here's an image if I'm not clear : when you play a guitar on an old true tube amp, louder you play harder the saturation will be.

So I need quite the same thing. Create a saturation beyond a threshold on my peaks when my signal is high, and stay clean when the signal is low.

Could you help me out ? Thanx a lot

Ben

... try using Saturn for this! Especially its more gentle saturation and tube styles!

Floris (FabFilter)

Hello Floris,

I already have Saturn, amazing plugin by the way, but I need some help to find out how to saturate only my high peaks, if a preset is available or which parameters and modulation I can use for this..

Would you have an idea ?

Ben

FWIW, the Vertigo VSM-3 plugin works on more of a threshold basis. There isn't an adjustable threshold but the drive control of each band helps keep the quieter sections from going into the distortion.

You can use the "distortion solo" switch to monitor JUST the distortion to hear what you're saturating and dial it in just right.

The only way I can think of to do this with FabFilter plugins is to set up a parallel blend and use a gate to allow only the loudest peaks to feed into an instance of Saturn and blend that in with the main signal.

Justin Perkins

This is very easy to achieve in Saturn. Just modulate the degree of saturation with an Envelope follower that reacts to the incoming audio level. See here:
www.fabfilter.com/help/saturn/using/ef

Teemeister
Reply to this topic Go to the forum topic list