FabFilter User Forum

Pro Q2 request for higher Q setting on Bell

Would FabFilter consider adding a feature to push that Q of the bell much higher? If it is possible with the current algorithms of course.

I frequently use the EQ built in to Izotope RX editor to tame high frequency lighting tones in production audio. Ranging 5K and above.

However would love to use Pro Q2 in this workflow instead because of the spectrum grabber.

Am finding that the frequency precision of the Pro Q2 bell isn't nearly as precise as the RX EQ bell.

I've tried all possible settings and can't get the Pro Q2 to match the fine detail of the RX EQ bell at Q=400 setting.

Emile de la Rey

Hi Emile,

Assuming you're using the bell filter to remove unwanted frequencies... did you try the notch filter instead?

Cheers,

Frederik (FabFilter)

Thanks Frederic, I did try the notch filter and it is definitely better suited for the job. Still a bit destructive for my taste. In some cases the tones I'm removing are quite close together so it can introduce "tones" with the leftover spaces in between the removed tones.

The current RX EQ does do what I want, because of the combination of really narrow Q with the ability to adjust gain to taste. But it is limited in the number of simultaneous filters, and doesn't have the nice frequency grabbing features of Pro Q2.

Emile de la Rey
Reply to this topic Go to the forum topic list