FabFilter User Forum

Multiple open Windows of Pro-Q, MB, C2 cause terrible lag

I just got two monitors to help with seeing my workflow and I do not have a weak computer (i5 6600k 4ghz, 32gb ddr4 ram, GTX 970 video card) and it seems like if I have multiple instances of Pro-Q, Pro-MB, Pro-C2, Pro-R, etc open on my other screen my computer freezes up, not like latency when you are pushing your CPU too hard, but it freezes and glitches, sometimes i can get a moment within the freezing to shut a window or two and then it starts to go back to speed.

Any thoughts? Max window count?

Forrest

Hi Forrest,

This sounds like a driver glitch caused by graphics acceleration. Can you try turning off graphics acceleration?
www.fabfilter.com/support/faq/#how-can-i-disable-graphics-acceleration-on-my-computer

Cheers,

Frederik (FabFilter)

Is this common with NVidia GTX 970s?

I will try this tonight.

Thank you

Forrest

Well it seems to help, but now the graphics are slow and laggy. not smooth anymore at all.

Forrest

BTW, I have an i5 6600k 4ghz CPU, 32gb DDR4, SSD

Forrest

That's the drawback unfortunately. I don't know if it's related to a specific graphics card, but some graphics drivers have real difficulty to update OpenGL surfaces on multiple monitors at the same time. This might also be related to the specific configuration of the rest of the system.

What we know is that graphics acceleration works wonders on 99% of the systems out there, but causes various problems on the rest and we can always track them down to driver bugs. The specific way we use OpenGL acceleration is unfortunately not what graphics card manufacturers optimize for and test with; they are mainly focused on full-screen games.

Cheers,

Frederik (FabFilter)

This is actually a pretty common issue with NVidia graphics cards. Their drivers are evidently pretty bad, going back to at least the GTX700 series. Plenty of complaints, including from gamers, about dpc latency among many other realtime performance related issues.

Best to go AMD if you want to get work done.

TD
Reply to this topic Go to the forum topic list