FabFilter User Forum

Output level on Fabfilter Micro

Hi,

I noticed something regarding the output level of Fabfilter Micro that leaves me clueless.
I want to start with an unfiltered sound and then apply some cutoff gradually. The problem is that I can't start with an unfiltered sound.

Settings (using FL Studio):

EF: off
Frequency: 75616 Hz (completely to the right)
Peak: 0.00
Response: LP
In: 0db
Out 0db

I would expect that with these settings the sound would be completely unaltered. But I noticed that it actually is lower in volume.

Could somebody please explain why that is and how I can set 100% "not-filtered" settings?

Tim

Addition:
I just took a look at the frequency spectrum and that confuses me even more.

imgur.com/cY7tFq5

Seems like activating Micro with the above settings actually adds frequencies to the signal?

imgur.com/cY7tFq5
(tried it on a bass sound. sounds on the left are unaltered, sounds on the right have Micro activated with above settings)

Tim

Hi Tim,

The filters in Micro (and Volcano, Timeless, Simplon, Twin), are analog models, that also include saturation, clipping, etc. So you are correct: even with the frequency turned up all the way, the signal won't be unaltered, but will be slightly saturated for example...

If you're looking for very clean filterering, simply try Pro-Q 2 :-)

Floris (FabFilter)

Ah ok, thanks for the explanation!

That means I would fare best with only turning the plugin on when I want to filter to have the true signal the rest of the time.

Tim

You might want to try to lower the input level and raise the output level by the same amount (use "alt" while dragging to do this simultaneously). This would drive the filter less and may reduce the effects (haven't tried it though).

Bram
Reply to this topic Go to the forum topic list