FabFilter User Forum

Pro-MB Spectrum Analyzer

The analyzer lags so bad that it makes using it impossible at any resolution and window setting in Pro-MB. The spectrums from the other Pro plugins seem to be running fine. I'm using all the latest versions in VST3 64-bit on the latest FL Studio 64-bit.

Kevin

Yeah, must agree here. Nothing beats the ableton live spectrum in speed, detail and usefulness.

Markus

I'm saying that the spectrum in Pro-MB lags like hell as opposed to the spectrums when I'm working with Pro-Q etc. Wouldn't know anything about Ableton.

I don't know if I'm the only one experiencing this issue.

Kevin

Hi Kevin,

The spectrum analyzers in Pro-Q 2 and Pro-MB should behave the same. Are you using the same settings (e.g. resolution, speed)?

Another thing that would affect the analyzer is if you're using a plugin insert after Pro-MB that introduces latency. So if you would e.g. insert Pro-MB as the last plugin on your master track you shouldn't see any lag.

Cheers,

Frederik (FabFilter)

Thanks for the reply Frederik. I think a better word is actually stuttering.

Did a small test just now. I opened a new project, inserted an audio clip, and inserted a Pro-MB. Any time I move my mouse over the spectrum area while the plugin is in effect, it stutters to the point that makes it unusable. As soon as I stop moving the mouse, it's fine again.

Kevin

That is quite odd. Can you post some specifics about your setup (host, OS, computer specs including graphics card)?

Cheers,

Frederik (FabFilter)

Hi, I didn't realize that you replied. Sorry about that!

Just a little bit more info I discovered. It works fine with just one spectrum enabled, but if there's any combination of pre/post/sc at any spectrum settings then all the graphical elements (spectrum, meters, yellow compressor line, etc.) stop moving.

Host: FL Studio 12.2 64-bit
CPU: Intel i7-3770K
Graphics: EVGA GeForce GTX 680 SC
RAM: 4x G.SKILL Ares 4GB

Kevin

Any word on this?

Kevin

Hi Kevin,

Sorry for not responding earlier, I must have missed your message as well! The fact is that I simply can't reproduce this issue -- the spectrum analyzer just works well on my system. Of course I don't have the exact same hardware.

Does it happen also when you open a fresh instance of Pro-MB with the default preset without any bands?

Have you tried to disable graphics acceleration?
www.fabfilter.com/support/faq/18/how-can-i-disable-graphics-acceleration-on-my-computer

From your earlier messages I understand that Pro-Q 2 is working fine on your system, which is very odd because both plugins use roughly the same spectrum analyzer code. You are using the latest versions for both plugins? (We updated them in February this year.)

Cheers,

Frederik (FabFilter)

Weird bug... yeah, it also happens with no bands on. I am using the latest versions with graphics acceleration disabled. I also checked the fruity wrapper settings and they're identical to the one I have set for Pro-Q. I also tried different combination of settings, all on, all off, and still the same problem.

I would record my screen to show you what's happening but I don't think that would solve the problem. I think at this point I'm just going to wait it out until the next update. Hopefully it will resolve by then. In the meantime, if I need a spectrum I plan on loading an instance of Pro-Q after Pro-MB ha.

Kevin

Only stutters on "large" and "extra large" GUI settings.

Kevin

Hi Kevin,

That doesn't surprise me if you have graphics acceleration disabled. Can you try to re-enable it?

Cheers,

Frederik (FabFilter)

Yes, it functions properly again. Also noticed that graphics acceleration makes all the visuals run really smoothly. Unfortunately I still get crashes from running a few instances of Pro plugins at the same time, which is why I disabled the acceleration in the first place. So why does it only happen with Pro-MB? Will there be a permanent fix for the graphics acceleration in the future?

Kevin

Hi Kevin,

What we're seeing is that some of our users (a small fraction) are getting occasional crashes with graphics acceleration, while for most people it just works. Unfortunately we haven't been able to reproduce those crashes ourselves yet. This would make it possible to track them down, discover what's happening and find a fix.

Can you share your system configuration? Do you get the crashes with other FabFilter plugins as well when graphics acceleration is enabled?

Cheers,

Frederik (FabFilter)

Yes, crashing with random combinations of the other Pro plugins. Usually takes 4-5 before it bugs out. I listed some specs in an earlier reply (see Apr 24 post). If you need any more info let me know. Thank you.

Kevin

Is it happening with only pro plugins or other plugins of multiple instances like 4 or 5 ?

F8

Crash occurs only with Pro plugins as far as I can remember.

Kevin

Did any problem happened during install of Pro-MB cause if windows got any registry error during install the problem persist unless you uninstall the software, completelly clean that software's registry, reboot and re-install again.

F8

No errors, but I've reinstalled before with registry cleanup.

Kevin

Have you tried another DAW?

Rart

Hey, so a few days ago I had to reformat my hard drive. I reinstalled with Windows 10 along with a clean installation of the latest FL and FF plugins.

I'm glad to report that the one-off graphics bug has now disappeared. What's even better is that I can now leave graphics acceleration enabled without the risk of crashing! It's unbelievably amazing how beautiful the spectrums look.

Kevin

Hi Kevin,

Thanks for letting us know! Enjoy the plug-ins!

Floris (FabFilter)
Reply to this topic Go to the forum topic list