FabFilter User Forum

[Reaper] Problem with Pro-C 2

i.imgur.com/65hQTVq.gifv

I have a problem where Pro-C 2 doesn't work correctly when I apply it to a track that has a loud signal coming in. Anything above, say, -10dB and it acts like in the gif above.

In the gif I compare it to how Pro-C 1 behaves. You can see how the gain-reduction behaves. In Pro-C 2 it just follows the threshold. The input signal does nothing to it.

Does anyone know why Pro-C 2 does this, and how I can fix it?

Mordi

You seem to have a midi signal routed to C2 (I see the midi light turned on). I think it receives a midi note and accepts that as a trigger for the compressor.
In the lower left corner you can disable midi with a little popup menu. Do that and try again, I think it will be as expected then :)

Bram

You're right! Thanks a lot. This has been bugging me for weeks. :)

Mordi

It seems I celebrated a bit too soon! I am able to replicate this even without MIDI enabled.

See gif: i.imgur.com/qDVy4n8.gifv

Mordi

Right! You know, I had the exact same issue a while back. It happens when Pro-C2 for whatever reason doesn't receive a note-off (because you bypassed it for instance), it just thinks there's a midi note coming in all the time. Only way to cure it is to re-insert the plugin.
I reported this to Fabfilter at the time.
You shouldn't have this issue if you disable midi in Pro-C2 directly after you inserted the plugin, and before you start playback. But yeah, it's slightly annoying.

Bram

You're 100% right -- we'll fix that ASAP.

Cheers,

Frederik (FabFilter)

Correction: I've justed tested this in Pro-C 2 and if you press and hold down a key on the MIDI keyboard to trigger compression, then uncheck Enabled MIDI from the pop-up menu in the bottom bar, Pro-C 2 does receive a note-off message like it should. I do remember this bug but I can't reproduce it anymore. Am I missing something?

Cheers,

Frederik (FabFilter)

I achieved this by passing the plugin in Live (ie, I used Live's Device activator).
Starting and stopping playback a few times might resolve the hanging input.

Bram

Thank you, this has been bugging me a long time! I figured it was anew glitch they would eventually fix, but it's that damn MIDI enable thing. Thank you!

Forrest

Just wanted to say thanks, ive been pulling my hair for 4 hours :)

Dennis Monell
Reply to this topic Go to the forum topic list