FabFilter User Forum

Creating ½D ping pong delay in Timeless 2

I'm trying to create a simple ping pong delay in Timeless 2. I want it set to ½ dotted in sync with my DAW.

I tried so many combinations, but don't get it to work. Could someone advise the setting I should use for Delay Offset and the Delay Time Sync slider setting.

Thank you :-)

Indigo

Hi Frederik/Floris:

I love timeless2, however I've encountered similar problems when trying to deal specific values. Things are not intuitive at all.

Perhaps in timeless3 you could implement a clear and concise ways to dial in values.i.e. D16's Sigmund.

fabfilter user

OK, I guess its not possible. That is both a pity, and also a surprise. My comes-with-Cubase DAW ping pong delay can do it, I would have thought Timeless could do anything that could do.

Indigo

I believe dotted delay may be possible using the dots around the main pots in the delay section. try an offset of 1.5 for dotted delay, also 0.66 for triplets. :)

Hope this helps until fabfilter can update the GUI to make this clearer.

John Faust

I can't believe there hasn't been an official answer from Fabfilter for this.

John

I just noticed this post while researching trying to find out what the delay offset knob (while in sync mode) dot positions reflect.

I've tried doing the math but i can't wrap my brain around .6667 and .333 and 1.5...

would love a simple readout of D or T somewhere noting that this is the dotted or triplet division?

has anyone figured out the numbers on this?

Thanks

D

Dino

Hi Dino,

TL;DR - if you don't care for the math bullshit :}

Dotted is 1.5
Triplet is 0.666667

Here's the full explanation:

While in sync mode, you should multiply the note length by the offset number to get the desired note length.
In general - if you want the note to be longer, you need to multiply it by a number bigger than 1, and if you want to shorten it, you need to multiply by a number smaller than 1.

For example - a dotted note is taking a note, and adding it another half of it's length.
So you want to make the note longer. by how much? by 50%.
So, mathematically, you should multiply it by 1.5.

Another example:
An eight-note can be played twice in the length of a quarter (or beat)
If you want to play a triplet eight-note - it needs to be played *3* times in 1 quarter
So you want to make the note *Shorter* this time. by how much?
This is a bit more complicated -
If once there were 2 notes in a quarter, but now you need to make it 3 notes, you need to multiply it by the same ratio.
what ratio? 2:3 ratio.
If you divide 2:3 you will get the number 0.666666666667.

So - if you want a note to become triplet, you need to multiply it by 0.66666667

Ofcourse there are more mathematical options to get the same results, but this is the easiest I could think of.

Hope this helps :}

Cheers

Yroth
Reply to this topic Go to the forum topic list