FabFilter User Forum

Pro MB Sidechain

First, I admit that I am a complete idiot, but I am trying to learn!

Basically, I want my guitar track's mid to compress during the vocals. I click on sidechain and link to my vocal track bus. I click on "Ext" like I've read elsewhere. So now, this guitar track is being compressed the entire time, not just when the vocals kick in.

I know, it's probably something easy I'm missing, but I've spent several hours watching videos and reading, but cannot figure this seemingly easy task out.

Darin

Just a wild hunch: is Pro-MB set to Expand instead of Compress? That would explain the inverse behaviour.

Bram

You've brought down the gain instead of actually compressing that band, you want to play around with the threshold, ratio and range settings, watch the youtube tutorial on using proMB if you're still lost. (also you're only going to be compressing that band of the guitar when the vocals reach a certain threshold volume within that band, if you want to compress that part of the guitar whenever the vocals come in, regardless of frequency band, use the "free" button above the ext switch and set the filters that appear to cover the whole frequency spectrum)

Here's an approximation of what it seems you want to do, you'll have to change the settings by ear: i.imgur.com/gAk5pfn.png

Tim
Reply to this topic Go to the forum topic list