FabFilter User Forum

Pro-Q 2 Processing Modes, CPU, Latency

Essentially, I'm debating whether to use Zero Latency or Natural Phase mode as my usual "default" in Pro-Q 2. I absolutely love the sound of Natural Phase mode - I think it's sweeter and smoother and I would love to be able to use it full time. From the manual, it's clear that Natural Phase introduces a bit of extra latency, which I really think I'm ok with. I'm sure it's pretty close to being inaudible, and if I'm using Pro-Q 2 on a lot of tracks in my mix, they're likely to be offset by very similar amounts, so what difference does it really make right? This brings me to the final piece of the question: is there any real difference in CPU usage between the two modes? My fan does seem to work hard sometimes when adjusting with the analyzer on during playback, etc. but I'm not sure how much CPU usage varies between Zero Latency and Natural Phase (it seems clear from the manual that Linear Phase definitely is more of a CPU hit, but I'm not as concerned with Linear Phase). I'd appreciate any technical enlightenment or personal experiences in this vein. Thanks!

Ben Gareffa

Hi Ben,

Good to hear that you like the Natural Phase mode! Indeed, it uses a little bit more CPU, but not that much; it shouldn't keep you from using it as the default setting! :-)

Floris (FabFilter)
Reply to this topic Go to the forum topic list