FabFilter User Forum

TWIN 2 filter panning

Hi
I thought I had found a bug but after consulting the manual I have come across an unwanted feature I cannot turn off.

I have been experimenting with sound design with panning to create a more fluid 3D landscape and have been stuck trying to get the results I want.

After a lot of problem solving I have discovered the filters pan have lows to the right and highs to the left or other way round. This is very restrictive for what I am trying to do with the filters in serial mode. That manual does not say anything about turning of this fustrating feature. Why are the filters fixed like this?

Chris

Hi Chris,

The Filter Panning works like this: when you turn panning to the left, it lowers the cut-off frequency for the left channel, while increasing the cut-off frequency for the right channel.

I understand that the resulting sound might be confusing when using this on a low pass filter (because when you turn the panning left, the sound in your left channel will be more filtered), but keep in mind that with a HP filter or BP filter, the result will be different!

Cheers,

Floris (FabFilter)

Also, you could pan the oscillators.

Bram

Hi Floris
Thanks for reply.
The affect I am trying to achieve is tilting the sound kind of like when a plane banks to turn. I have 2 BP filters set up in parallel. I want to be able to lower cut off with the left and raise the right BP filter and then lower the right and raise the left. I am trying to create a tilting sideways swing that does not actually pan the main sound controlled by either XY pad of an LFO.

Chris
Reply to this topic Go to the forum topic list