FabFilter User Forum

Pro Q2 feature request: Detent Mode

There is a free EQ plugin called Luftikus

code.google.com/p/lkjb-plugins

I don't have Luftikus, but it has a mode id think would be awesome on Pro Q. On Luftikus, you click the "mastering" button and it changes the knobs from free range (ex 2.95 db) to rounded mode (3 db). So the knobs would move in increments of 1 db instead of 1/100ths of a db. I like how detailed you can be with pro q, but it would be kinda cool to have an option that rounds the db gains to 1 db clicks at a time for when we don't want to super detailed. It would force users to dial in settings quicker because picking between a 4 db boost and a 5db boost would be more prominent than 4.51 and 4.79, just for example. Not that anyone would pick this's numbers, but just for the sake of argument.

Joseph Lyons

I would second that and would like to add another layer. I want to have the ability to go into the backend and define my own detent options for the frequency band itself. This would give users the option to create presets that could potentially emulate say a Manley Massive Passive EQ, or any other mastering or high end EQ that has a recallable "stepped" frequency range. It would be a little time consuming for the first few folks, but once the lot of hardware EQs are made into presets, then everyone else could just download and install those custom presets. This would be extensive, but the way I see it, there is a finite amount of hardware EQs and in each of those a finite amount of parameters. So, it's not like it would take forever. As for the Manley Massive Passive example, there are 8 bands, and 11 settings for each band. That would take 10 minutes to have that preset created. I know, it would give you the same exact sound, but I like limitations like that, and who knows, they picked those frequency's for a reason right?

Maja

It would be cool to have such a feature. However I feel if implemented the step size should be able to be changed by the user in settings.

1dB is a pretty large step in mastering. Personally I would prefer a 0.25dB or 0.5dB step size.

So perhaps a parameter that you can select the gain control to work in either 0.25dB, 0.5dB or 1.0dB steps?

Alternatively a hot key could be implemented. Like hold shift when changing the gain and it works in fixed steps. If that's the case my vote is to do it them in 0.25dB!

Mark

All good ideas I think. I like both kinds of EQ. Limited-choice EQ and tons of choices EQ (for lack of a better descriptor). Having the option implemented into Pro-Q2 would be awesome. Use precision mode and it works like it does now, use limiter mode and it rounds the numbers to wholes and 'detents' the knobs.

Joseph Lyons
Reply to this topic Go to the forum topic list